canning supplies

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ohh the best part was "I heard that you just add vinegar to make it safe for waterbath canning".

Oh she added vinegar alright. To the water in the canner.

I got the full story out of my brother last year finally.

Actually my wife taught me a splash of white vinegar in the pressure canner. Prevents white spots on the outside of the jars lids and rings. So that's what I do. Maybe 1 tablespoon is all I add and it works well.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I simmer some vinegar water in the canners (and steam juicer bottom) before they are put up. It removes the scale that builds up. My little saucepan I use to boil eggs also gets that treatment regularly.

If you dont use Jet dry or anything in your dishwasher, use white vinegar in that dispenser. It removes extra soap and helps with the water spots as well.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so a customer gave my coworker 2 quarts of canned figs in syrup.....dated 2009!

I warned him not to eat them but he did it anyway just to spite me. the dummy is still alive ( a week later) and he talked another guy at work into trying it.

2 years is absolute max for me

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score

I warned him not to eat them but he did it anyway just to spite me. the dummy is still alive ( a week later) and he talked another guy at work into trying it.

I guess I am a big dummy!

Canned food will keep much longer than two years. I have meat, fruit, and vegetables that are just as good as they were when they came out of the canner. If it looks good, smells good then it usually is good. Fruit and pickles usually hold up the worst. But meat and vegetables hold up for a long time. I have a few jars of potatoes from 2009 in my pantry that still look good and taste good!

Of course, NEVER eat anything that has a seal that has been compromised.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess I am a big dummy!

Canned food will keep much longer than two years. I have meat, fruit, and vegetables that are just as good as they were when they came out of the canner. If it looks good, smells good then it usually is good. Fruit and pickles usually hold up the worst. But meat and vegetables hold up for a long time. I have a few jars of potatoes from 2009 in my pantry that still look good and taste good!

Of course, NEVER eat anything that has a seal that has been compromised.

you seriously eat decade old canned goods?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
you seriously eat decade old canned goods?
Yes, and have for many years. If you have a good place to store it, then it will keep a long time. Vegetables, meals-in-a-jar and meats maintain color and appearance really well. Pickles, tomatoes, and fruit do not.

I have never had anything inedible as long as the seal was intact.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Those guys take the Tide Pod challenge also?