cap and trade!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I feel for you k0xx, Dh is 60 and collects a retirement from his previous job. Because we married late and he had child support to pay for about 10 years, we could not afford a house until 10 years ago. He retired from his job (hazardous duty job) when we decided to move to VT. His pension came with medical, which "O" now wants to now tax. DH has what he calls his little "retirement job" (a full time job) which helps pay the bills including the mortgage. It is looking like he will be unable to retire at age 66 because of all the proposed new taxes and tax increases. I feel for anyone who is already living on a fixed income. They either have to try to get a little retirement job, almost impossible,. . . or . . . they have to cut their living standards and for many that is almost impossible. "O" could care less on what impact his ajenda has on people on a fixed income.

Anyone who thinks that only those who make $250K or more will get their taxes raised just needs to do basic math (if they can). There are not enough $250K+ people to cover all the bail outs, health care, the stimulous et al. That means they are comming for the rest of us. From taxing your company health care, cap and trade and I'm sure there will be other tax grabs as well. The people making less than 250K who think they are not comming for you think again. The math does not work without your money as well. Even then, the math does not work.

Here are 2 good articles on Cap and Trade:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123655590609066021.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/bu.../ScHGqyzVffnhQ

Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
I feel for you k0xx, Dh is 60 and collects a retirement from his previous job. Because we married late and he had child support to pay for about 10 years, we could not afford a house until 10 years ago. He retired from his job (hazardous duty job) when we decided to move to VT. His pension came with medical, which "O" now wants to now tax. DH has what he calls his little "retirement job" (a full time job) which helps pay the bills including the mortgage. It is looking like he will be unable to retire at age 66 because of all the proposed new taxes and tax increases. I feel for anyone who is already living on a fixed income. They either have to try to get a little retirement job, almost impossible,. . . or . . . they have to cut their living standards and for many that is almost impossible. "O" could care less on what impact his ajenda has on people on a fixed income.

Anyone who thinks that only those who make $250K or more will get their taxes raised just needs to do basic math (if they can). There are not enough $250K+ people to cover all the bail outs, health care, the stimulous et al. That means they are comming for the rest of us. From taxing your company health care, cap and trade and I'm sure there will be other tax grabs as well. The people making less than 250K who think they are not comming for you think again. The math does not work without your money as well. Even then, the math does not work.

Here are 2 good articles on Cap and Trade:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123655590609066021.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/bu.../ScHGqyzVffnhQ
If Obama signs a medical bill that taxes our medical benefits that we already have, I will find it hard to support him any longer. That's the very same thing McCain was talking about doing. That was his solution along with a 5000 voucher to pay for 40% of avg family cost for a health plan. If we went back to tax rates from the Reagan years we could pay for everything. The top 2% in this country earn 40% of the money.

As for the cap and trade. We'll have to wait and see. The Wall Street Journal is pretty far right so anything they say has to be taken with a grain of salt. The NYT sight wouldn't come up. to me they are more believable, so I will try to find their article. I did read the WSJ article. Very interesting.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The Wall Street Journal is in no way far right, nor does it pander to the left. It's a business newspaper, it operates on money news, the evaluation of business, and where things are trending economically. Right now they're showing the damage the current administration is causing, and will cause, so I guess in a liberal's eyes it's against Obama's policies, therefore it must be a far-right rag. I've always found it's easier to keep your eye on the political ball when you follow the money.

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
The Wall Street Journal is in no way far right, nor does it pander to the left. It's a business newspaper, it operates on money news, the evaluation of business, and where things are trending economically. Right now they're showing the damage the current administration is causing, and will cause, so I guess in a liberal's eyes it's against Obama's policies, therefore it must be a far-right rag. I've always found it's easier to keep your eye on the political ball when you follow the money.
Actually it is a far right rag. It is more far right, than ABC, NBC or CBS are far left. What they are showing is their opinion of Obama's policies. For every opinion they espouse I can give you an equally provocative opposite opinion. The great thing about politics is that it's virtually impossible to actually prove anything one way or the other. It's all about opinions and you know what they say about opinions. As far as keeping your eye on the money, I've never seen the money. All I've ever seen is a bunch of opinions on where the money is. You can't even count on history books. They are constantly rewritten to back up whatever facts the author wants people to believe. Look how they're trying to rewrite history as it pertains to FDR.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, Big Daddy, I consider your evaluation of the Wall Street Journal to be nothing but an opinion, also, and a wrong one. Why you can't follow the money is a problem you really need to work on. Those of us who can do.

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Well, Big Daddy, I consider your evaluation of the Wall Street Journal to be nothing but an opinion, also, and a wrong one. Why you can't follow the money is a problem you really need to work on. Those of us who can do.
We're all entitled to opinions even if they're wrong. So I'll give you a pass. Keep following the money.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
Taxes to change behaviors don't work well, if they did there would be no smokers or drinkers, and the programs that these vices pay for would be looking for some where else to get their money. Like I said, it is all a money grab.
I'm sure it is also a money grab, but I disagree with your statement that increased taxes don't change behavior. It may not eliminate a behavior, but it certainly has been shown to change it.