Carrots boosted goats production

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
No, they don't require grains to maintain gut flora....actually, too much grain will create acidosis and can kill them rather quickly. Modern goats, like modern cows, were developed for high volume production and it is rather difficult to maintain them without grain. Sprouting is a good option.

You can't give them unlimited veggies, either, as that will also throw off the gut flora. They are designed to eat leaves and grass. LOTS of it. So most of us need to supplement since pasture is limited and high enough quality hay is hard to get. They have very high nutrient needs, higher than other domestic animals.
Speaking of leaves......oh, I will start another post, cause this is good!

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Root crops are great - poor man's silage. I put in a quarter acre of turnips this summer for the cows - they LOVE them. I've just started feeding them since I'm out of grass here. I didn't manage to get the mangles in this year - but they love them even more! I used to bother chopping roots (put them in a bucket or tub and chop with a spade - gets a whole bunch done very quickly) but once they know what they are they'll eat them fine without being chopped. Even the sheep would work a HUGE mangle till they had it gone. I always try to grow a variety - but usually end up with just a lot of turnips.
Don't forget crops like cabbages and comfrey, etc. for the pigs in summer - they make a lot more food more quickly, just don't store as easily. That along with the spare milk will get two pigs ready in no time!