Carry

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok so I live in a state where I must have a "license" including classes by a certified instructor to legally conseal carry. I'm getting ready to go back to school so I can earn the state required license.

I hope I'm never in a sistuation where I have to use it.

I need a good easy to maintain pistol that's easy to consealed. I was looking at S&W bodyguard .38 5 shot revolver with laser trace but I'm just not sure either... I do like revolvers though.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-38-crimson-trace

What do you all like for consealed carry and why?

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just got back from looking at revolvers. S&W .38 bodyguard, several .357s and both judge composite and steel frame and the Governor. The S&W .38 bodyguard is to small for my hands, several .357s fit well but I really like the steel frame judge 4510, it fits my hands just right, doesn't seem heavy, even fully loaded, it's well balanced - but it's a damn big gun to try and conseal, expecially since warm weather is coming soon. I just don't know where I would wear it. So I'm currently opting for the shorter framed S&W governor. Its a six shot that'll shoot .410 shells, .44 APC & .44 Colt. I'm gonna go and fire the governor this weekend - then i'll know for sure.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"I was looking at S&W bodyguard .38 5 shot revolver with laser trace but I'm just not sure either... I do like revolvers though."

My husband thinks this is a good choice if it fits your hand and you like revolvers. They are very reliable and one of the last guns they'll try to outlaw. He did say you could go up to the .357 if you wanted the option for higher firepower, not knowing what might come out of the National Forest you live near. The .38 is a very good choice. The .357 shoots both .38 and .357. It's a little beefier and has a slightly longer cylinder. Otherwise, it's basically the same gun. Both are excellent choices. Go find one and hold it, and see if it's comfortable in your hand.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of training!

Illionis gun laws --->
DZaoQfNVwAAk17C.jpeg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After shooting several it came down to two snuby .357s magnums, the turus 605 and the EAA Windicator. The Turus Govenor is just to big to conceal during the warm weather, so I plan on picking one up this fall.

The windicator has a longer handle, i couldn't even get my pinky around the 605. So I purchased the Windicator - let the 72 hour waiting period begin.

I also ordered a leather inside waist band holster and I'm signing up for the 16 hour consealed carry class next week. Next I'll need to purchase 250 rounds of ammo and 2 speed clips.

Geeze there is so much to go though just to earn a concealed carry permit.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally picked up my revolver tonight. Now just need to break in the leather holster by carrying it all the times. and i need to practic practice practice shooting then practice practice practice some more.

Thanks for all the tips.

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is what I carry, when I carry anything at all. But I don't conceal it. Sometimes I hike with it if the area is known to be where there are cougars or I’m somewhat likely to run across a bear (black bear, not a grizzly which is very rare around here). If I hike in the Rockies, a grizzly is more possible, so I'd carry.

I believe there’s only been one murder in my valley in the last 40 years or more, and unarmed assaults or fist fights in public areas are very rare. There are probably domestic assaults (usually male partner slapping around — or otherwise — his woman of kid). But I don’t have to directly concern myself with that. Home invasions are nearly unheard of. Even in our larger nearby towns, murders or armed assaults are quite rare. A belligerent drunk on some sidewalk probably happens once in a while.

CFBear-02.jpg

True, if we’ve heard about a “weirdo” wandering around anywhere near our neighborhood, we might keep this spray handy in our home. But it’s never come to anything.

The big cities are distant from us, and it’s true that they to some degree have the nasty problems — more fights (bar or street), assaults, gang-related shootings, sexual assaults. But in Vancouver, the largest metro area in our province, the rate of these is fairly low as North American cities go. I never carry anything (even bear spray) when I go out there for a few days. (I suppose I’d conceal my bear spray if I wanted a weapon in the city… I’m not sure how legal that would be there.)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have an FN .40 because hubby didn't think anything smaller caliber was safe for me to stop anything. .45s are too big to fit comfortably in my small hands. The .40 was the best compromise.

We don't have to do a class here, but must go in person every couple years to reapply and get another background check.

Hubby was concerned about the tweakers that come scouting around country properties. I'm off our place enough on county property that he insisted and it was a good argument.

I wish the county would get to it on putting the Mountain to Sound hiking/biking trail along the RR tracks here like they had planned. Mom thinks I'm insane for wanting it, but more people would actually be a good deterrent.