Carry

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's funny, TN accepts a NH CC permit if I visit, but has way more requirements than we do in NH to get an actual TN permit.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After shooting several it came down to two snuby .357s magnums, the turus 605 and the EAA Windicator. The Turus Govenor is just to big to conceal during the warm weather, so I plan on picking one up this fall.

The windicator has a longer handle, i couldn't even get my pinky around the 605. So I purchased the Windicator - let the 72 hour waiting period begin.

I also ordered a leather inside waist band holster and I'm signing up for the 16 hour consealed carry class next week. Next I'll need to purchase 250 rounds of ammo and 2 speed clips.

Geeze there is so much to go though just to earn a concealed carry permit.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to look that up! Is it accurate? Just curious with that short barrel! It has good reviews!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to look that up! Is it accurate? Just curious with that short barrel! It has good reviews!

It seemed so, although I need a lot more practice. It a six shot that shoots both .38 Special/.357 Magnum rounds. It's very smooth with minimum recoil shooting .38 but has a significant amount of recoil and muzzle flash with .357 Magnum. The muzzle flash this thing throws out surpised me. It's also faily heavy (solid) and it's darn right ugly but I'm not intending to enter it in any beauty contests either.

Pretty good honest review here ---> http://aegisacademy.com/gun-review-eaa-windicator-38-special-357-magnum-revolver/

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally picked up my revolver tonight. Now just need to break in the leather holster by carrying it all the times. and i need to practic practice practice shooting then practice practice practice some more.

Thanks for all the tips.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well $160.00 and 16 hours of consealed carry classes start in two weeks. 8 hours classroom Saturday and 8 hours of range time Sunday. I spoke to the NRA instructor and he said your expected to pop off a minimnm of 150 rounds in 8 hours at the range.

After I complete the required 16 hours of training. Then I have to apply for the consealed carry license which requires yet another $150.00 plus the cost of being finger printed and another criminal background check (I already had a criminal background check when I applied for my firearms identification (FOID) card and again when I.purchasdx my revolver - I guess you can't have too many criminal background checks hu?. When I'm issued my consealed carry license (within 90 days of applying) it's good for 5 years. Then it will cost another $150.00 to get it renewed.

Geeze it's difficult and costly to obtain a concealed carry license in the state of Illinois. I bet criminals don't do any of this do they?

All of this is in addition to the cost of the revolver about $350.00 plus ammo about another $100.00 and to top it off I'm still looking for the right holster for my revolver. I've purchased 3 already ranging from $10.00 to $40.00. I need to return all of them tomorrow.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
About holsters...

These are the 3 I've tried so far.

This one is leather and $40.00 - if it we're only like 1/2" longer on both ends it would be perfect. I love the leather feel on my belly but the barrle sticks out on the end and rubs on the soft groin skin and the hammer sticks out the top about 1/2" and digs into my belly. Very uncomfortable...
IMG_20180422_212730.jpg

#2 is both consealed and regular holster. It's way to big... It's made of some kind of material that my skin doesn't like much and the belt clip rotates like 15 degrees in both directions. When I wore this it didn't feel at all soild and I had to constantly re-adjust the holster. Not good to finger you gun all the time uggg...
IMG_20180422_212645.jpg

The third one and the cheapest $10.00 is the best yet it's perfect beside the cheap plastic belt clip and the loose eleastic Velcro strap. I may keep this one and buy a better steel belt clip and leather strap snap button strap. Or.. I may seam rip it and use the pattern to make own holster out of some deer skin I tanned a few years ago i just dont know yet... Probably not good to have dog's sniffing around your consealed deer skin revolver either and I don't have enough leather on hand :(
IMG_20180422_212804.jpg

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is what I carry, when I carry anything at all. But I don't conceal it. Sometimes I hike with it if the area is known to be where there are cougars or I’m somewhat likely to run across a bear (black bear, not a grizzly which is very rare around here). If I hike in the Rockies, a grizzly is more possible, so I'd carry.

I believe there’s only been one murder in my valley in the last 40 years or more, and unarmed assaults or fist fights in public areas are very rare. There are probably domestic assaults (usually male partner slapping around — or otherwise — his woman of kid). But I don’t have to directly concern myself with that. Home invasions are nearly unheard of. Even in our larger nearby towns, murders or armed assaults are quite rare. A belligerent drunk on some sidewalk probably happens once in a while.

CFBear-02.jpg

True, if we’ve heard about a “weirdo” wandering around anywhere near our neighborhood, we might keep this spray handy in our home. But it’s never come to anything.

The big cities are distant from us, and it’s true that they to some degree have the nasty problems — more fights (bar or street), assaults, gang-related shootings, sexual assaults. But in Vancouver, the largest metro area in our province, the rate of these is fairly low as North American cities go. I never carry anything (even bear spray) when I go out there for a few days. (I suppose I’d conceal my bear spray if I wanted a weapon in the city… I’m not sure how legal that would be there.)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I start my 16 hours of consealed carry class time tomorrow @ 7:45AM. 8 hours classroom and 8 hours range time. I'm going to try my best to stay awake during class. It's about a 35 min drive from here. Not knowing exactly where it is, I'll probably leave the house about 6:45 just in case I get lost (you know how google maps is I might end up in Wisconsin or something).