Carry

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I thought of you when I saw this: View attachment 7210

At the cost of a concealed carry permit in Illinois, it might be cheaper to just move north of the border... :lol:

(BTW, the sign isn't real... But it wouldn't be a bad sign if it was. And for more WI fun check out http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2017/03/wisco-sign )

I used to live a little less than a mile from the Wisconsin state line in northern IL. Everytime I would meet a Wisconsin-ite in Illinois I would say "hey welcome to the United States of America"

Wisconsin is a strange place... It's almost like a different country. I dated a girl named Michelle Taylor who attended University of Wisconsin it only lasted a couple of months though. During that time I spent some time in both Madison and Milwaukee. Back then Milwaukee was the cleanest city you would have ever seen. But it's not that way anymore.

Wisconsin is very different and thats about the only way i could describe Wisconsin very different! I mean their major roads are letters of the alphabet instead of routes.
Which made absolutely no sense at all and without a map your sure to get lost!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck@CrealCritter, I had to laugh when I read your response!

We had a foreign exchange student once and when we asked him why he chose Wisconsin, he said that it was ranked #1 for the friendliest people in the country. :clapI still find myself waving at other cars on the road, even though I don't know the people in the other cars.

A few years ago, we went to Toronto for a wedding. And we were watching the local Toronto weather channel. It had many area temps. Every single temp was for a Canadian city.... EXCEPT one. Green Bay, Wisconsin was listed on the Toronto weather report! :) :lol: Not Detroit, not Buffalo... Not any number of American cities closer to Toronto... Just Green Bay:huUmmmmm, hey guys, you DO know Green Bay is in Wisconsin (USA) RIGHT?
My Canadian friend calls Wisconsin "Canadian Light":lol:

When I was in Navy boot camp, we were all sitting around talking about home. When I said I was from Wisconsin, no one else knew where that was. I was even asked if it was one of the 50 States. :th

Apparently, other people aren't sure what to think about Wisconsin either! We just might be Canadian, eh??:gig

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is what I carry, when I carry anything at all. But I don't conceal it. Sometimes I hike with it if the area is known to be where there are cougars or I’m somewhat likely to run across a bear (black bear, not a grizzly which is very rare around here). If I hike in the Rockies, a grizzly is more possible, so I'd carry.

I believe there’s only been one murder in my valley in the last 40 years or more, and unarmed assaults or fist fights in public areas are very rare. There are probably domestic assaults (usually male partner slapping around — or otherwise — his woman of kid). But I don’t have to directly concern myself with that. Home invasions are nearly unheard of. Even in our larger nearby towns, murders or armed assaults are quite rare. A belligerent drunk on some sidewalk probably happens once in a while.

View attachment 7093

True, if we’ve heard about a “weirdo” wandering around anywhere near our neighborhood, we might keep this spray handy in our home. But it’s never come to anything.

The big cities are distant from us, and it’s true that they to some degree have the nasty problems — more fights (bar or street), assaults, gang-related shootings, sexual assaults. But in Vancouver, the largest metro area in our province, the rate of these is fairly low as North American cities go. I never carry anything (even bear spray) when I go out there for a few days. (I suppose I’d conceal my bear spray if I wanted a weapon in the city… I’m not sure how legal that would be there.)
:yuckyuck@CrealCritter, I had to laugh when I read your response!

We had a foreign exchange student once and when we asked him why he chose Wisconsin, he said that it was ranked #1 for the friendliest people in the country. :clapI still find myself waving at other cars on the road, even though I don't know the people in the other cars.

A few years ago, we went to Toronto for a wedding. And we were watching the local Toronto weather channel. It had many area temps. Every single temp was for a Canadian city.... EXCEPT one. Green Bay, Wisconsin was listed on the Toronto weather report! :) :lol: Not Detroit, not Buffalo... Not any number of American cities closer to Toronto... Just Green Bay:huUmmmmm, hey guys, you DO know Green Bay is in Wisconsin (USA) RIGHT?
My Canadian friend calls Wisconsin "Canadian Light":lol:

When I was in Navy boot camp, we were all sitting around talking about home. When I said I was from Wisconsin, no one else knew where that was. I was even asked if it was one of the 50 States. :th

Apparently, other people aren't sure what to think about Wisconsin either! We just might be Canadian, eh??:gig

You nailed it! I was trying to be nice / polite and accurate all at the same time. So being from Wisconsin you must know what FIP are/is then uh?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hm, if I once knew what FIP is or are, then I've forgotten. Maybe it's regional? Wisconsin is VERY regional. I'm from the land of the frozen tundra further north, and spent much of my time even further north than that. :)

I actually read your message last night and spent the night saying FIP?? Fresh Italian Pizza? Frozen Irish Pints? Fooling (around) In Public? I was trying to think of old cheap beer names with those initials.
Wisconsin is a very strange blend of old and new. Very European in many areas. Wisconsin is Belgian, Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, Danish, Luxembourger, French-Canadian, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Denmark, Bohemian, Italian, French, Welsh, and Prussian. It's known for cheese, sausage, beer, and the Green Bay Packers. And apparently for friendly people. The circus and Harry Houdini vs Jeffrey Dahmer and Ed Gein. Yep, it's a strange place. Some people say the cold affects our brains...:lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hm, if I once knew what FIP is or are, then I've forgotten. Maybe it's regional? Wisconsin is VERY regional. I'm from the land of the frozen tundra further north, and spent much of my time even further north than that. :)

I actually read your message last night and spent the night saying FIP?? Fresh Italian Pizza? Frozen Irish Pints? Fooling (around) In Public? I was trying to think of old cheap beer names with those initials.
Wisconsin is a very strange blend of old and new. Very European in many areas. Wisconsin is Belgian, Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, Danish, Luxembourger, French-Canadian, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Denmark, Bohemian, Italian, French, Welsh, and Prussian. It's known for cheese, sausage, beer, and the Green Bay Packers. And apparently for friendly people. The circus and Harry Houdini vs Jeffrey Dahmer and Ed Gein. Yep, it's a strange place. Some people say the cold affects our brains...:lol:

FIP = Fu__ing Illionis People. That's what they call illionIlions in southern Wisconsin.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is what I carry, when I carry anything at all. But I don't conceal it. Sometimes I hike with it if the area is known to be where there are cougars or I’m somewhat likely to run across a bear (black bear, not a grizzly which is very rare around here). If I hike in the Rockies, a grizzly is more possible, so I'd carry.

I believe there’s only been one murder in my valley in the last 40 years or more, and unarmed assaults or fist fights in public areas are very rare. There are probably domestic assaults (usually male partner slapping around — or otherwise — his woman of kid). But I don’t have to directly concern myself with that. Home invasions are nearly unheard of. Even in our larger nearby towns, murders or armed assaults are quite rare. A belligerent drunk on some sidewalk probably happens once in a while.

View attachment 7093

True, if we’ve heard about a “weirdo” wandering around anywhere near our neighborhood, we might keep this spray handy in our home. But it’s never come to anything.

The big cities are distant from us, and it’s true that they to some degree have the nasty problems — more fights (bar or street), assaults, gang-related shootings, sexual assaults. But in Vancouver, the largest metro area in our province, the rate of these is fairly low as North American cities go. I never carry anything (even bear spray) when I go out there for a few days. (I suppose I’d conceal my bear spray if I wanted a weapon in the city… I’m not sure how legal that would be there.)

We talked about bear mace in consealed carry class today. As a matter of fact I'm the ONLY student in the entire class. And yep there is a law for strapping a big ole can of bear mace to your side also. I found out today there is a law for most everything in Illionis.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t carry anymore. But I used to carry a S&W 38, shrouded hammer, airweight. It fit in my pocket.

Check your laws and rules. It may be that if you qualify with an automatic, then you can carry a revolver or auto. But if you qualify with a revolver, you can’t a carry an auto.

Checked and once you qualify it's good for any pistol (revolver or semi-automatic) but no full automatics - those are illegal for a guy like me.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
10 shots from 5 yards, 10 shots from 10 yards & 10 shots from 20 yards. I got all 30 shots in the silhouette, so I scored 100% :) I only needed 70% to qualify. I'm happy I qualifed and got my certificate. Now off to get fingerprints ($55.00) and application for consealed carry license ($150.00) which is good for 5 years upon the date of issue

Instructor told me to take the target home and hang on the front door. So that's what I did. Not the best by any means but I'm happy for a revolver with 2" barrel.
IMG_20180506_170839259.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is expensive!! So what's your grand total to be able to carry? Mine is $0, or since I choose to get a permit, $10.

Sounds like class wasn't too terrible at least.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know I need new glasses and I'm making a eye doctors appointment. But honestly i'm having a heck of a time with black on black iron sights. So being from Creal I came up with a solution. Bright orange neon finger nail polish from Dollar General and I'll be doggoned it works. And for $1.00 I've got enough sight paint to last a lifetime.

In bright light.
IMG_20180509_223805802.jpg

In low light
IMG_20180509_224021432.jpg

Sure it's not as good as a lazer but as long as a adversary isn't wearing a orange neon shirt I should be ok.

Last edited: