Cash or metal?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gold and silver will be good for a time and silver, smaller currency will be more tradable. Junk silver is where its at.

But it is all a belief system and really has no real value except for what people believe. But Silver can actually cure disease if you know how to use it and a silver dollar placed in the milk bucket will slow down spoilage.

Platinum has industrial uses as does copper. Copper is up in the market today.

The dollar is strong but only because of beliefs. When people around the world stop believing in the USs ability to pull itself up by its bootstraps the dollar will crash. Thats why I'm stocking up on what we need while it still has purchasing power.

Economists say we are in a deflationary period but soon will switch over to inflationary before the crash. Now is the time to buy.

I'm guessing canning supplies will be good trade goods, especially the lids
as well as bullets, cooking oil, propane, any other ideas?

How about that laundry soap some of us are making. That would be a good trade item if you have the "secret formula" and the ingredients to make it! Better save up jars or jugs to put it in.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Funny you should mention laundry soap, I have been snapping up bars of Zote Soap every time I see them :p

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Medical supplies. A good awl and some thread for tying stitches, dressings, ointments, aspirin, splints,....those things will be valuable. Rope, seeds, chain, tools, tarps, fabric, boots....I don't think I'll even need money or metal with those kinds of things stashed away.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Funny you should mention laundry soap, I have been snapping up bars of Zote Soap every time I see them :p
It must be deep intuition. Maybe you will be providing your community with Laundry soap:lol:

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm looking at tools and replacement parts...

Like if your canner requires a rubber gasket, get a spare

spare parts for the vaccum

a spare chain for the chain saw

extra needles for the sewing machine

extra fuses for the electrical box

A stash of pens and paper

Oil to change for the car, and a couple of filters

Dog food! (unless you plan to eat the dog;))

We always have drain problems so I stashed draino.

Make sure all your tools are in good shape, both indoor
and outdoor tools.

Kinda got off track here. Not all this would be trade goods
but draino certainly may, or a good snake.

How many tapons would you need for 2 years? or what
are other options?:/ Would those be trade goods?

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Gold and silver will be good for a time and silver, smaller currency will be more tradable. Junk silver is where its at.
Koxxx said:
I'd do a mix of the two. The cash would be best in small bills (1's, 5's, 10's and 20's). Large bills can be hard to break in tough times.

Metals would be best in US silver coinage, average circulated common dimes, quarters and halves, with a mix of dollars and eagles. If you have the resources, a small mix of gold eagle fractional coinage would be nice for larger barter items.
I second these opinions

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What about antibiotics as a bartering item?

Do you think paper money would be worthless? I keep a hundred in singles but have quite a few rolled coins stashed.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do think that antibiotics may be worth quite a bit.
You can purchase what your heart desires here. Check out the top two sites. I've purchased medicine in Mexico many times. Its good stuff. Made by the same companies as meds from the US.

What will also be needed is the know how.

http://opioids.com/offshorepharmacy/mexicanpharmacies/index.html

I recommend:

Bactrim DS - can cure MRSA wound infections, as well as bladder infections and other skin infections.
Doxycycline - especially if you live in Lyme areas. A four week supply for one person with tick bite. 100mg 2 x day. You may not be able to get a lyme test which you can't do until week 6 from exposure. My rule..you have a tick bite you take Doxy. It you wait for a test you may have already developed chronic lyme. Can be used for a wide variety of upper respiratory infections, like any tetracycline drug.
Cipro - broad spectrum. Don't use it unless you must. Cures anthrax. for bacterial infecion of gut, like the Mexcian trots that don't resolve on its own use 500mg 2x day for 3 to 4 days.
Amoxicillin - good for throat infections.

I also think that a small stash of prednesone is good. I remember when my son had mono. His tonsils swelled so big he could not swallow water.
One day of prednesone and it was gone. 10mg. x2 days, 5mg x2 day. 2.5 x1 day then stop was the order the doc gave....but I never follow directions...we did 10mg x1 day, 5mg x1 day, 2.5x 1 day and that was it. It needs to be tapered to prevent a rebound effect.

But I have a whole world of natural remedies to try first, except for the Lyme. Got a bite? Do Doxy.

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gosh, along the same line as antibiotics...painkillers would probably come in handy as bartering tools as well.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Absolutely! and you can unfortunately purchase them over the internet also but not from Mexico. You need an RX for those from that country. But other countries will send it...since I've never tried I don't know which ones..but my kids tell me that kids purchase lortabs and oxycontins over the net. That really needs to be stopped.

I keep homeopathic Symphytum in 200c and byronia 200c to deal with pain of broken bones. It works quite well. Byronia is specifically for broken ribs and bruising of the chest. Symphytum for other breaks and facial bruising, black eyes, and Arnica 200c is helpful too and they can all be taken together if need be.