Cash or metal?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Cybercat said:
What about antibiotics as a bartering item?

Do you think paper money would be worthless? I keep a hundred in singles but have quite a few rolled coins stashed.
IMHO

Antibiotics have a limited shelf life, so you'd probably be wise to wait until is seemed that things were getting really bad, before purchasing them. It's a bit of a gamble as to when to purchase them, but they would definitely be worth having in a barter situation.

At the rate the Treasury is printing money, the possibility of severe inflation (if not hyper inflation) is real, at least according to some experts. If that occurs any current US money, paper or coinage, would quickly become worth less.

We are trying to put three months worth of income off to the side. We're finding it tough to do, but we are trying. In the case of runaway inflation, we would spend all of the money put aside, plus any additional income, as quickly as possible. We would try to purchase staples, durable goods or bartering items, before the money lost more of it's value.

I don't believe that it will get that bad, but I have nothing to base that on other than blind optimism. :rolleyes:

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't believe those expiration dates on antibiotis for one second. If they are kept dry and out of light they will last for ages. I know a doctor who collects stuff to take to third world countries and this is what he told me....
I might think different about it with liquid antibiotics through. Many need to be kept cold...so those are off my list.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, I have been thinking about this for some time now. Some things of course are better for barter than others. Nails, screws, tools, saws, and grinding stones...for sharpening them, files. Garden tools, Hammers,wedges, picks, axes, hatchets, and large knives...for butchering. Of course, good tarps, rope, chain. Canning supplies....any and all. Good Heritage seeds for the garden..and LOTS of them! Good boots....warm, waterproof...same with coats, jackets, blankets. Coal...if you can get it....lanterns and lamp oil..extra wicks and candles, maybe even candle makeing supplies. Ammo might be good to have for yourself..but with "big brother" we have to be carefull who we tell how much we have on hand. Good breeding stock. This will be very helpfull for times to come. Salt, sugar, coffee, flour, chocolate, and booze. All great for bartering. First aid supplies..tripple antibiotic creams, sutures, bandages, Peroxide, Alcohol. BLEACH! When and IF times get bad, cleanliness will be VERY important, to stop the spread of diseases. Sewing implements...needles and LOTS of thread. Get the good stuff, it lasts longer. Creature comforts, cross word puzzles,board games,cards,dominoes, coloring books and colors for the kids. This will be a tough time on a lot of kids, taken from thier "comfort zone" of video games and such. TP? Sure, it would be handy...but really, it is not a necessity...and besides, storeing too much just makes a great home for rats and mice....which spread diseases. Go to the goodwill, buy towels, wash cloths..sheets, tablecloths, and LOTS of flannel and denim. Good wool socks. You might can get away with not needing them in the summer, but come winter....socks can and will save you from frostbite. Gloves, several pair. ( I keep about 20 pair, adult and children sizes) Dont forget the good work gloves as well. Hats, scarves...again, several of each. Plan ahead, and be ready...Im not a "dooms dayer" But, this is real, this WILL happen, its just a matter of time.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
how about a few bottles of wine or whiskey? Bailey's? Kaluaha?

I'm no addict but I hate to think of going months or years with out a nice glass of wine at dinner. I imagine others might feel the same way and maybe it could be a good trade item?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Mackay said:
how about a few bottles of wine or whiskey? Bailey's? Kaluaha?

I'm no addict but I hate to think of going months or years with out a nice glass of wine at dinner. I imagine others might feel the same way and maybe it could be a good trade item?
Yep, even during the Depression, alcohol sales flourished. By the same token, getting together the basic components of a still might be an interesting way to go.

I never have wine with dinner. I get all the whine I can handle when the wife's family visits. :D