Cash or metal?

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For hoarding a stash, do you guys do cash, metal or a mix? What form is the metal?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I would stock cash personally.....and food.
Eventually cash *may* be worthless, so a solid skill that is barter-able is a good investment right now!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There's a very funny list of things a person should have on hand "in case of hydrogen bomb attack" listed in the back of George Herter's "Bull Cook and Authentic Recipes". It was published in the 50s. Some of the items that he suggests hoarding are coffee, 5lbs of Tobacco, matches, etc. I'll try to get the full list posted tomorrow.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hell, if I had a stash of beer, cigarettes and coffee, I would be queen in my area in the event of economic collapse :D

Of course, I could never keep hubby out of the supply closet....

(Add chocolate and wine to the list and I would rule for sure!)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't forget the ammo--

funny story (kinda)-- There was a guy in town who was kinda into the survivalist/conspiracy theory stuff, and he had stockpiled a gob of ammo. So when his house caught fire and burned to the ground, about 30,000 rounds went off. He apparently also had some dynamite in there. The curious townsfolks were all standing around the area, watching the fire, while you could hear bullets and shells exploding for a day or two.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Many believe that you should try to find the older paper money without the metal strips, bury in non metal so it can't be detected. That's the only problem I have with Gold and Silver; where to store it so it can't be detected.
I'd probably go through it before anyone would have a chance to search my property for it. ;)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
In a Depression - WWII rationing kind of economy, a stash of chocolate would be awfully good currency :)

In a worse situation, I strongly suspect that PRACTICAL items, like dry ammo or fishhooks or vaseline or reusable firestarters or any of a hundred things like that, would be much more useful barter currency than bars of gold.

Of course buried bars of gold are probably a better LONG term investment, like "for your old age or children's children', than chocolate. If you can find them again and nobody else has first, anyhow ;)

Pat, with a good bit of trading capital stored in the kitchen cabinet in the form of bakers chocolate, not as a plan really, just as a result of a deep deep sale a few yrs ago :)

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Hell, if I had a stash of beer, cigarettes and coffee, I would be queen in my area in the even of economic collapse :D

Of course, I could never keep hubby out of the supply closet....

(Add chocolate and wine to the list and I would rule for sure!)
:lol:

A couple years ago I had the brilliant idea to stock up on liquor, before my state raised the taxes on it. It makes sense on paper, really it does I mean liquor doesn't go bad right?

Well you can guess what happened to it :p

My DH stockpiles ammo. It's a skill he learned as a child. Every time we move I am astonished at the amount of shells we have. I'm fairly sure they're procreating in the safe.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK I have a serious answer to the OP.

I'd say both. If you really thought it was warranted, I would set aside half of what you had alloted in gold and half in cash. It's simple diversification. You can't know exactly what the economic climate will be so you don't want to put all of your eggs in one basket.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've never understood why gold or silver was considered precious metals....yeah, they are pretty and in scarce supply compared to other metals, but have you ever tried to make a plowshare out of them? :p

Give me iron or steel any day, in the event of the kind of case scenario that requires hoarding goods and developing a barter system. You can't make much with gold or silver that has anything other than an intrinsic value. With iron or steel you can fashion tools, weaponry, strong, weight-bearing items upon which to transport things, etc.

I think, if it got down to scratching to survive, people would be less concerned with gold or silver and more with food or fuel. Would they take gold or silver in exchange for food or fuel under these circumstances? Probably not. I know I wouldn't! :p