cast iron dutch oven, which kind?

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I want a cast iron dutch oven. Not really a need, just a want at this point. Who knows, I will probably need at when TSHTF. So I see them with and with out little legs. Which one would be the most versitile? I dont know where or how I would use it, wether its over a campfire or stovetop.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have both, I love the legs for outdoor cooking with charcoal or over a fire but for everyday cooking you will get the most use out of a regular dutch oven. If you can afford a le Creuset that is my favorite, second would be lodge logic (which is made in USA other than the enameled ones are made in China) I use mine daily, they are a great addition to your kitchen! I have more cast iron pans than I do regular pans, they are perfect for the SS kitchen and cooking by other fuels (fire, charcoal, etc) if the SHTF happens.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you can find an antique one with a lid, snap it up! I have both Lodge and a variety of antique brands, and ALL the antique brands are better than Lodge. Don't get me wrong, my big frying pan is a Lodge and I use it a LOT. But the smoother surface of the antiques make them more non-stick and easier to clean.

You can't use the ones with legs on the stove top unless you have a gas stove and the legs fit between the bars of the cast iron on your stove top. Same with in the oven, the legs would be a pain to get in and out of the oven because of the oven grill.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you think you'll be using it mostly in the kitchen, forget the legs. Also, before buying new, you might want to check around at flea markets and such. I have 4 Griswold dutch ovens, and the most I paid was $45 for one, the others I got a better deal on.

I also have large enameled cast iron dutch oven that I got new, it's the Lodge Logic and so far so good, but Lodge is not the best cast iron in terms of quality.

I also have an antique enameled one that is from Germany that I bought in an antique consignment place for $12 - can't beat that!

So look around first for an antique one, they are available.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
JRmom said:
If you think you'll be using it mostly in the kitchen, forget the legs. Also, before buying new, you might want to check around at flea markets and such. I have 4 Griswold dutch ovens, and the most I paid was $45 for one, the others I got a better deal on.
A Griswold Dutch oven with a lid is well worth $45!!! That you got four and the other three were less......where is the green with envy smilie? :p

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
JRmom said:
A Griswold Dutch oven with a lid is well worth $45!!! That you got four and the other three were less......where is the green with envy smilie? :p
That's just the tip of the ice burg. :D My husband and I are collectors, we have pretty much one of everything, and multiples of quite a few. I use most of it. We are the "skillet flippers" you see at flea markets and such. :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ahh that explains it. JRmom do you know if anyone makes makes a lid that would fit my 15inch lodge skillet?

I would love a big dutch oven for indoors. I have a 12 inch lodge for camping. its really not big enough. If I could find a used one I would be in heaven.

g

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I too vote no legs ... at least for the first one. I used my flat bottomed Dutch Oven in many a campfire situation just by placing a few rocks in the fire to sit it on. I only got my spider a couple of years ago. Love that cast iron!