cast iron dutch oven, which kind?

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't say spider to a Griswold collector! Have only seen one with the spider logo and they wanted $1,200.00 for it.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Legs legs legs.
By the way - legs.

We got a Chinese cast iron one. Yeah, we don't care much for it's origins either, but the price was well more within our reach. We got it at the local Ag-supply house a few years back. It has served us VERY well. We also have a pot bellied bean pot with legs (S African made) that sits on top of the D'oven.
If you get one, make sure you get some sort of iron hook to lift the lid. We have an iron fork a blacksmith friend made with a hook on the handle end.
You can cook ANYTHING outside in a D'oven. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but not by much. We use it for a fry pan even.

Also got a cast iron pot, no legs, no hot coal lid, that we use in the home kitchen. It's a Lodge brand.

What we always called a "Spyder" was a sheet metal fry pan with legs attached. That is the old nomenclature, anyway.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ahh that explains it. JRmom do you know if anyone makes makes a lid that would fit my 15inch lodge skillet?

I would love a big dutch oven for indoors. I have a 12 inch lodge for camping. its really not big enough. If I could find a used one I would be in heaven.

g
I really don't know, that's pretty big! Have you checked the Lodge website? Also, you might do an internet search for Wagner lids.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think lodge makes one. :/

I was just thinking I could probably pick up a stainless lid from the restaurant supply that might fit. Sometimes when I do a big pan of whatever I want to cover it while I finish up other stuff.

G

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've a small collection of cast iron and except for the green enameled Paula Deen one that the hubs and kids bought me the rest are probably older than I am. I've had a big deep "chicken frying" pan with lid that was my mothers for years. Then my next door neighbors decided to move away since my mother sold us the house( they were like another Aunt and Uncle to me) and were paring down their collection of stuff she called me over and asked if I wanted to buy their cast iron cuz their kids and grand kids didn't want it.. I said sure how much? I got a dutch oven with flat bottom and lid, dutch oven with legs and lid, an oval griddle that she said might have been made to go on the top the older cooking wood stoves when you took the two circles and the divider out, and two more frying pans without lids, but the one flat bottomed dutch oven lid fits them both. All for $20. :th I told her that they were worth more but she wouldn't have any of that! Only the flat bottomed DO has anything on it.. the number 18.
Oh and to get legged one to work in my oven--I just took out the two racks and sit it on the bottom. works pretty well that way.