Cast Iron

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll be homeless at the way I'm spending out on pans. All I wanted was to be able to cook.

I've bought the hexclad not realising it contains aluminium :thif that's not bad enough I find out after purchasing, the aluminium is inside the actual part you cook on.
This metal had been known to leach into food then brain and causes alzheimer. I'll be frying on a brick soon.

I spent nights searching up and then made this massive mistake..

you do know that aluminum is a very common element right? your body likely knows how to deal with it.

anyways, if the metal is clad in other metal it won't be leaching into what you cook unless you somehow wear away the metal it is clad in. unlikely unless you're really aggressive with your scrubbing and using very harsh materials to scrub with.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so am i the only one who scrubs cast iron skillets with steel wool and soapy water and then burns it dry? when i was a kid thats all we used and thats how we did the dishes. seems the internet does it differently

the only time i'd use steel wool on a cast iron pan would be if i were taking the seasoning off it. otherwise i use a plastic scrubby and hot water if there are chunks on there that i want off. i may use just a drop of dish detergent on a cast iron pan if i've been cooking meat in it because i'm sensitive to meat fat smells and that is one way of getting the fat smell off there.

then i will heat it up to dry it and wipe a very tiny amount of vegetable oil on it and put it back on the shelf until next time.

when i make something with butter fat or vegetable fats of any kind i just use hot water plain and the scrubby if needed but i don't need detergent then. if there aren't any cooked on stuffs on the pan i'll just wipe it out and leave the vegetable fat on there from before and then i don't even need to wash it at all or get it wet. i do wipe out any extra oils because i don't want to attact any bugs or critters. it is stored with a good lid on it so no bugs can get in easily anyways, but no need to tempt anything by making it too easy. :)

i've not had to reseason my current cast iron pan since i got it. just using it works fine for adding more seasoning to it. i did wipe on some more oil and baked it for the outside when i got it but that was it. it isn't a perfect season job now, but i don't care. there's some flaked off the sides which don't get used for anything anyways so no biggie to me. it cooks fine, nothing sticks, makes pancakes and sausage just how i want it to. so i just leave it alone and use it. i do want another pan for when we make pancakes and sausage because i only have one pan now and i'd like to not have to switch between items. it's on my wishlist to get a nice flat for pancakes. i sure don't need the rim of the pan and it gets in the way for flipping pancakes.

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I may suggest to all if you want new Cast Iron cookware look at the following:

Lodge
Star Gazer
Finex
Field Company
All are products made here in the USA , If you are lucky enough to find Griswolds and Wagner Wares grab them while you can ,
As in previous post I stay away from the non stick chemical teflon , where as a well seasoned cast iron can cook non stick items even better IMO .

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the pans @Marie2020 purchased were not cast iron they were a different product.
Spindled apparently. The worst spot has cleared but there's a reoccurring rash which I'm managing too control using coconut oil and arnica cream.

As for the latest pan yes there's aluminium inside, it may be contained but I'm not risking using it. If it had only been at the bottom I wouldn't have been so concerned.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good news is I've managed to order the lodge cast iron skillet. Fried eggs and mushrooms will be back on the menu :drool

As for the spinndeled pans they said they will give me an answer tomorrow if they will reimbursed me anything at all 🤞

Last edited:

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you do know that aluminum is a very common element right? your body likely knows how to deal with it.

anyways, if the metal is clad in other metal it won't be leaching into what you cook unless you somehow wear away the metal it is clad in. unlikely unless you're really aggressive with your scrubbing and using very harsh materials to scrub with.
Well I've looked into sending this pan back , the phone number provided is not being picked up the customer service is deleting my mail and have not sent a return address so I can get the my money back.

Apparently I'm not alone, this has been going on since 2018, many people have lost hundreds of dollars through this company

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the only time i'd use steel wool on a cast iron pan would be if i were taking the seasoning off it. otherwise i use a plastic scrubby and hot water if there are chunks on there that i want off. i may use just a drop of dish detergent on a cast iron pan if i've been cooking meat in it because i'm sensitive to meat fat smells and that is one way of getting the fat smell off there.

then i will heat it up to dry it and wipe a very tiny amount of vegetable oil on it and put it back on the shelf until next time.

when i make something with butter fat or vegetable fats of any kind i just use hot water plain and the scrubby if needed but i don't need detergent then. if there aren't any cooked on stuffs on the pan i'll just wipe it out and leave the vegetable fat on there from before and then i don't even need to wash it at all or get it wet. i do wipe out any extra oils because i don't want to attact any bugs or critters. it is stored with a good lid on it so no bugs can get in easily anyways, but no need to tempt anything by making it too easy. :)

i've not had to reseason my current cast iron pan since i got it. just using it works fine for adding more seasoning to it. i did wipe on some more oil and baked it for the outside when i got it but that was it. it isn't a perfect season job now, but i don't care. there's some flaked off the sides which don't get used for anything anyways so no biggie to me. it cooks fine, nothing sticks, makes pancakes and sausage just how i want it to. so i just leave it alone and use it. i do want another pan for when we make pancakes and sausage because i only have one pan now and i'd like to not have to switch between items. it's on my wishlist to get a nice flat for pancakes. i sure don't need the rim of the pan and it gets in the way for flipping pancakes.
I really cannot wait to get my lodge skillet.
After losing hundreds of pounds this pan will be precious to me. I'm real broke after all this ,at least ramsey is in the money, he must be very proud and happy making such a good living off a con

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here we have the Better Business Bureau. People can file a complaint and the BBB contacts the business and gives them a chance to resolve it. If the business doesn't resolve the problem, it goes on file as a complaint. If the business does resolve the problem, it goes on file as a complaint and then what the company did to fix the problem.

Latest posts