Cast Iron

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have stainless steel pans that I got in 1995 and 2000. They do last forever.

Mom has a high carbon steel pan she picked up at the Senior Center sale down in Heppner. Best guess Ive had for age is from the 1950s. She told me to take it next time Im down.

Flea markets, yard sales, and antique stores are good places to find good old pans.
My mother gave me my Revere Ware (Copper clad bottoms on stainless steel. The copper is on the outside.) back in the 70s.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a Revere Ware tri-ply set. Stainless steel with a disk of aluminum on the bottom sandwiched between steel. They've always heated pretty evenly for me.

Steel pans last forever. Mom tried to tell both my SIL that steel was better than non-stick for pans. They both complain that they have to keep replacing their pans every few years. Last time she pulled out a pan and said she'd had the pan since the 70s. She has the Revere Ware copper bottomed and some try-ply. Only non-stick she has is a fry pan.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have had my cast iron for 39 years, I never needed more than this, ALTHOUGH every time I walk buy the cast iron at TS I really have to stop myself :gig I want to buy more
dutch oven, LG stew pot
2 LG skillets
1 small skillet,
waffle iron
steak sear
I have bought pans twice in 40 years, first set of Revere Ware is 40yr old and when I needed a few more pans to cook for my crew I bought a second set like 30 years ago.
fry pans, same I dont use them as much and look newish

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am still using Revere Ware stainless with outside copper bottoms. My mom used them and I started with a set when I got married. Now I check out the pots and pans and stuff at the Goodwill stores and buy any I can find even if they have burned on spots. Most of the time you can use a cleaner to get the copper bottoms pretty nice, a few I have are badly discolored. But the inside is stainless and they cook good. I have some old cast iron, and some Lodge brand. They get used, wiped out if not too bad or washed and dried and a little bit of whatever oil I am using at the time wiped down on the inside. The outsides are not all that "beautiful" but I don't worry about it... I cook on Propane, or sometimes on the woodstove. I have a deep lodge pot with a glass top and I make any of my stews in it and it gets washed and dried and a light rub with some oil/lard/shortening after. I love the glass top for seeing in it.

I have not used any other type of frying pan since I got the cast iron 40+ years ago. My Revere Ware fry pans are practically like new.
I love Revere Ware too. I have some that were my mom's and my favorite is like a half-height stock pot that I found at Goodwill.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am still using Revere Ware stainless with outside copper bottoms. My mom used them and I started with a set when I got married. Now I check out the pots and pans and stuff at the Goodwill stores and buy any I can find even if they have burned on spots. Most of the time you can use a cleaner to get the copper bottoms pretty nice, a few I have are badly discolored. But the inside is stainless and they cook good. I have some old cast iron, and some Lodge brand. They get used, wiped out if not too bad or washed and dried and a little bit of whatever oil I am using at the time wiped down on the inside. The outsides are not all that "beautiful" but I don't worry about it... I cook on Propane, or sometimes on the woodstove. I have a deep lodge pot with a glass top and I make any of my stews in it and it gets washed and dried and a light rub with some oil/lard/shortening after. I love the glass top for seeing in it.

I have not used any other type of frying pan since I got the cast iron 40+ years ago. My Revere Ware fry pans are practically like new.
I'm so glad you commented! I had always assumed Revere Ware was aluminum. I don't know why! I'm happy to learn they are stainless steel! Thank you!

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use a cast iron pan daily! I used to hate cast iron when I had a Lodge brand pan. But my antique/vintage pan is a 10" chicken fryer pan (high side fry pan) that is completely smooth inside. I dont season it because gunked up oxidized oil is gross, and not necessary with a smooth pan, and I use it daily so it doesnt get a chance to rust. I wash it like any other metal pan - copper scrubby and detergent.
I too have the "chicken fryer" it is my go to, though the weight seems to get more as I age😂, I never scrub it, it removes the "seasoning" just a hot water rinse, then back on the heat to dry and a quick swipe with lard. Which fills/pocks in seasoning as it cools. Heat kills any bacteria. I can even cook tomotoe based recipes with no stickin..

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i spent the day cleaning and seasoning all my cast iron. its finally done and resting in the oven.
20211211_141152.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have several old cast iron skillets, about 40+ yrs old....also a good amount of real heavy stainless. Love both. Then some big, tall, enameled pots....30 qt of spaghetti sauce anyone? :lol: those were a couple hundred each about 25 yr ago! I'd fight anyone trying to take my stock of pans! 😁 :love my canner is aluminum but never cook in that, only can. Now the insta pot has stainless inside pot, I can pressure cook there. Soooo much and it screams for me to cook more! :old :hide need people to for, other than just myself to feed.

Latest posts