Cast Iron

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I use a cast iron pan daily! I used to hate cast iron when I had a Lodge brand pan. But my antique/vintage pan is a 10" chicken fryer pan (high side fry pan) that is completely smooth inside. I dont season it because gunked up oxidized oil is gross, and not necessary with a smooth pan, and I use it daily so it doesnt get a chance to rust. I wash it like any other metal pan - copper scrubby and detergent.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So who uses cast iron cookware daily ? And even if y'all don't Which brand do you use ? Or Antique or Modern ?
Not daily by any means but it's my favorite cookware. I like Lodge, this 10" one is most likely an antique.

Fried potatoes & onions 👇
IMG_20211120_203341224.jpg

IMG_20211120_203410393.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only have old stuff. Properly seasoned and never washed it is the original non-stick frying pan. I have a 5" one that I use to make a Dutch Baby pancake in the oven.
I wash mine after each use with palmolive green dish soap and water and scrub with a stainless steel pad. Then I rinse well, put back on the stove and heat up to dry. Once dry cut the flame and I oil the entire pan and a lid with olive oil, spread around with a paper towel. Leave on the stove to cool off and then put away. Been doing it this way for long as I can remember.

My son had a pan that was all nasty, he said someone told him to never wash it. I had him put it in a outdoor fire until it turned red. The next day it was cool and clean as could be. He's been washing and oiling as I said above and seems to work for him also.

Just a tip for consideration :) people got their own way of caring for cast iron, that work well for them.

I'm interested what others do. Caring for cast iron seems to be the biggest "issue" people have with cast iron. One of my other son's uses vegatable oil and says olive oil will go rancid. I've never had that problem, so can't say.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Huh... I just grab a cast iron from the cupboard... and cook with it.

We keep it seasoned, we do not use SOAP (no idea how that word changed)..

Only way I will ever make cornbread or spoonbread.

I think a couple are lodge... a couple are old somethings. :idunno

Edited to fix auto correct.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a more recent Lodge, used a few times a month. i'd like another pan or flat plate big enough so that i can do both pancakes and sausage at the same time.

i think too many people get really hung up on seasoning. all i've ever done since buying it was to clean it and then use it. seasoning will happen with use and how you clean up after cooking. run hot water on it, scrubby plastic to remove any crusty stuff and then dry it off and wipe it with a bit of vegetable oil and it's ready to go for the next time i need to use it.

i may sometimes use a small amount of dish detergent to remove some animal fats and then rinse well and dry and then wipe down with a vegetable oil.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wanted to add you got me looking now. Someone, I don't recall who gave this 8" one to my wife.

It's a Wagner Ware made in Sydney. It's very light weight seems cheap compared to lodge. As you can see it most definitely needs to be heated up in a camp fire, than cleaned and oiled with olive oil. It may survive being heated in a camp fire or maybe it won't because it's so thin. But I'll give it a try next time I have a camp fire.

It's a nasty one... looks like one of those never been washed kind.
IMG_20211120_214825408.jpg

IMG_20211120_214821188.jpg

IMG_20211120_214808392.jpg

Latest posts