Catfood, the pressure-canned version

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:yuckyuck :gig :lol:

Good to know about the bone thing for cats. I know how improtant for dogs this is, I learned about this through my raw dog food book. (Raw bones only I know too. :D) So kitty will get his bone fix this way, VERY good to know. Naughty Kitty!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Ahhh . . . see we have the "Queen of the Spiders" at our house. She generally lurks in shadows and glares in your general direction. She WILL claw and/or bite you, if you try to pet her. That goes for us (her co-habitators) and for any visitors who dare try to touch her. :rolleyes:

Thanks Free for the suggestions for vegetable additions. I was thinking that if one could bear to part with it, asparagus would be a good addition. I hear that cats just love it and "Queen of the Spiders" tried to uproot one of my newly planted asparagus plants. :somad

Edited for spelling
I guess I have the giggles tonight because I can't stop laughing about your kitty!! We used to have that "version" of cat too, her (another SHE-male) name was Ashes (guess what color she was!!). She was the exact same way.

They may have different personalities, but they ALL share the same traits: a ladder, they MUST climb; a door, they are always on the wrong side of; a paper bag on the floor; well, you kitty lovers ALL know what would happen!! (My favorite kitty is the "cranky one" because they are the most fun to mess with. :plbb You know they like it because otherwise they would walk away, RIGHT?!)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
(My favorite kitty is the "cranky one" because they are the most fun to mess with. :plbb You know they like it because otherwise they would walk away, RIGHT?!)
LOL. Yeah, I guess some cats thrive on negative attention. My other cats are always chasing our "QOTS" cat around, and we try to intervene on her behalf, but it is almost like she enjoys it . . . she knows what sets the other cats off, and she continues to press their buttons. . . . ? Which reminds me that she got into some of my saved seeds I was drying -- knocked them all over the floor -- and it upset me, so both my husband and I chased her around the house making upset kitty noises (just for the fun of it) and LOL we got a call from our neighbor, because she was outside and thought she heard a wildcat fight near our house. LOL

Freemotion -- WOW, your cats made short work of that asparagus! :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
O.K. I have a little dish with homemade cat food next to his dry food that I will slowly ween him off of. (Guess which one he prefers?!)

Anyway, I have already noticed a change in him! Maybe it is just me. But he is acting very needy/lovable cant tell which one. He is acting like his food bowl is empty but both are filled. He is twirling around my legs as I manuver around in the kitchen I've almost tripped twice!

Maybe he is trying to tell me thank you who knows. ;) I just wanted to note the change in him.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
He could be VERY pleased with you, if he is eating the new food with enthusiasm......Some cats get stressed when there are changes in the routine, too, so the new dish could be stressing him a bit. A holistic vet helped us to recognize that with one of our cats, which was a huge step in managing his urinary problems. Now we use the same dish to feed him, the same place, the same food. And always use the same brand of litter in the box, and clean it more. If we can smell it, it is beyond outrageous to them.

I try to make the recipe the same all the time, too, for the sake of this cat. And my sanity and the cleanliness of my house....:/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Got ya! I was worried that he might go through a rough transition and have accidents etc. But so far, so good. Thanks for the tips.

I had a holistic vet that stabled her horse with mine. She was awesome and I used her until she moved to Florida. :( She used to work on the Cavalia horses and also Mattress Mac's (a local celebrity of Houston) race horses. MISS YOU DOC!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can anyone guestimate how many pounds are in a quart of chicken liver?

This isn't looking like it'll save me any money. Walmart is the cheapest place to get, well... anything around here. They've got chicken hearts for $1.18, a quart of chicken liver for $4.97 and I forgot to ask about whole chickens or chicken leg quarters. I usually get a 40 pound bag of Iams for around $35 and it'll last a month between all 4 of the cats.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Can you sneak the quart over to the produce section? According to my estimates, I think it will cost me about $5-7 per cat per month. I made a month's supply for about $5.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My (fat 17-18lb) cat eats about 2-3 tablespoons each day. I am still weening him off the iams so he will probably get about 4 tbsp at the most in all.