Catfood, the pressure-canned version

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, really? Is that enough calories for them? Do you feed you kitty that amount twice daily or is that the total serving?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is very high for livers. Just use the hearts until you find another source. It'll be fine. I feed my two gigantic cats a pint a day, that is for both cats. Not a pint each, a pint total. And it is canned, so it is really a bit less than a pint.

I get my livers in the regular grocery store for about what you are getting the hearts for. They come in plastic 20 oz tubs. Sometimes we have to ask, or go to a couple of stores to get enough for the giant batches I make.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A cup sounds a bit more on target for what I'd expect. I may have to hold off on this project until I can find a less expensive source of food. What other organ meat can be used? It just occured to me that I know several hunters and I'm pretty sure they don't eat the organs. I'm wondering if I can buy their organs off them for cheap.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I bet they'd give it to you for nothing. You can still use the chicken hearts. Those would be great, and more in line with a natural diet for a cat. Although the big cats could take down a deer! :lol:

ETA: The hearts are very high in CoQ10, critical to.....you guessed it....heart health!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well my kitty is still on free range :D dry too, so I am not exactly sure how much he will need when he is out of the dry. I just figured he would tell me when he is hungry...he usually hits me over the head with a cast iron frying pan! Ah, true love!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The livers I saw came in the plastic tube, and were like $1.10 total. :/ Since I'm reducing the recipe so much, I may freeze what I don't need for later. I also am debating the whole chicken, since I couldn't find leg quarters. (Maybe I'll make a trip of it, and bother the butcher) They sell chicken cut up, but it's all of the chicken, not just breast or wings. They cost about the same, and it could save me some time. It even had the gizzard. I have a coupon (Freddies rewards thingy) for $6.00 off my meat purchase of at least $6.00. So I figure what the hay?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The proportion of organ meat to chicken meat and skin in my recipe is based on what my fussy cat will eat. You can make it anyway you'd like, just be sure the meat (including offal) is at least 80% and the veggies are about 20%. Broth doesn't count, add as much as you'd like.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Offal is the entrails and internal organs of a butchered animal. The word does not refer to a particular list of organs, but includes most internal organs other than muscles or bones.
-wiki

Latest posts