CC's not so fine WINE diary

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Better get your rose bushes planted so you can make Rose Petal Wine. A friend made some and it is really good.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You better get some more carboys and bottles on order, lol!
I'm picking up some more tomorrow, so far I gave 23 gallons of wine in the making. I reckon another 15 gallons should be enough for Christmas presents for all my Daughters and daughter in laws, plus the start of a wine cellar :)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How many lovelies are going to be getting your rainbow wines?

Eleven

Each gallon should equal 5 - 750ml wine bottles. I would like to get 6 different wines bottled by December so I could give each one of my girls 2 bottles of each kind or a case of 12 for Christmas.

I do have a bit of a challenges though... 2 like dry wines, 2 like semi sweet wines and the rest like sweet wines. I really need someone to help me who knows how much to back sweeten, because it's a balancing act of alcohol / acid / sugar. The hydrometer only goes so far and is more of a reference point, than how it will taste. This is my first time making wine, so IDK... I guess I'll make it work somehow and probably get drunk doing it. Some this wine is pretty high octane stuff -:lol

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was picking strawberries this morning and got to talking with a gentleman down a few rows. He was out there picking "a whole bunch in a little time" so he could make some strawberry wine. He makes a number of wines, says peach is the hardest because it does not like to clear very well and plum is his favorite for flavor.

Did you tell him about SS? Maybe he'll join (I Hope). Boy I could use someone with experience to help teach me. Book and internet reading only goes so far but someone experienced who is willing to share their experience is so... Much better.

A lot of the orchards around here in southern IL sell less than perfect fruits that they call seconds for 1/2 price. Great for canning and wines :)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cranberry Premier Blanc 1096 part 3

16 July - I carefully syphoned the cleared cold crashed cranberry wine off the lees from the 1/2 gallon canning jar into a clean and sterile quart canning jar. The wine is cold inside the jar, so the outside of the jar is sweating but the wine is crystal clear.
IMG_20190716_215309841_HDR.jpg

Of course I had to taste test it. Oh my Lord, it's supper light bodied, delicate, dry and delicious. I still cant believe i actually made this wine.

I'm no wine connoisseur thats for sure, but I can say I have had way worse tasting wine at restaurants that I paid dearly for. And this cranberry wine is still green, not even bottled yet, let alone aged any. It tastes so good that, I just want to drink the quart jar but I know better... it would totally kick my ass @ 13.6% Alcohol By Volume if I chugged it.

This batch of cranberry wine developed an infection called flowers of wine. I'm not going to try and save it. It's going down the drain. I'll most likely start a new batch of cranberry wine over the next week when I can find the time.

Here are a few pictures of the cranberry wine infected with flowers of wine.
IMG_20190725_225648697.jpg

IMG_20190725_225752905.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It looks & sounds like my kind of drink! I may have to look harder at wine making! :idunno Waiting is the hardest part.