CCX

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Was delicious, breast meat was a little to mushy for me. so I need to give them another week or so. But nothing beats tasty, fresh from the farm, never frozen chicken. By the way my neighbors took the left over chicken home with them :)
Haha, only on SS are pictures like that normal. Heck yeah, supper is on the way!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Always hungry
IMG_20210121_134620201.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well this weekend is processing time. Might just do the roos and wait another week for the hens. The roos are really good whole, stuffed with cornbread stuffing, rubbed down with olive oil, salt and peppered then baked. I might piece try and practice parts cutting on some of the hens for legs, thighs, wings, breasts.

despiece_rev01_aldelis_eng.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are out of chicken, just 4 drumsticks left. But we have plenty of pork, guess I'd best get to cooking that.

Your dinner looks delicious. Raising CCX sure puts a lot of meat in the freezer in a short time.

I have orders for 38 CCX, not counting what our DD and family want and ours too. At $6 per pound, it more than pays for DD's and ours. I think I'll raise 2 batches of 50 each. Maybe I'll sell a few more. Last spring, we sold a lot and I had to raise another batch for fall and I sold some of that too. Now DD and family are out and so are we. Can't have too much chicken! LOL

I still have 10 hens to go I will have way more than enough chicken to last my wife and I, for a long time to come. Eventhough I do plan on giving some away, still way more than enough.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ferment their feed. They will drink less water, eat a little less and the meat tastes better. I keep 4-6 small buckets with lids going at a time when I raise them. I usually have 30-50 of them. I start the buckets off with a live culture buttermilk and always leave some to start the next batch. I put in the feed and add water.
Has to be cultured and non pasteurized buttermilk though right? I could skip the Bragg's ACV then, since acetic acid bacteria will already be present in their feed. acetic acid bacteria is what makes vinegar, vinegar.

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no corners. corners are a bad deal for them. they also pile up if the lamp is too hot
Spur of the moment kind of thing... I had to move a lot of old rough cut 2x out of there and fetch a hay round from the pasture. But all in all pretty happy with it. 68 in the coup but 43 outside not bad for two 250 watt heat lamps. I think they will be fine.

Death by piling seems to be my number one problem with CCX. They get cold and is like "dog pile" the ones on the bottom don't make it out alive.