Cecilia's Journal

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I’m alive! Sorry I’ve been inactive for a bit. We’ve got a lot of crazy stuff happening around here.

Frankie was diagnosed as deaf by our ENT doctor. Which is all well and good, my dad is deaf and he’s fine.

Winter is back into full swing (I told you it would come back)

My entire flock was diagnosed with Coryza today. Honestly I’m devastated and shocked. I’m doing everything my avian vet has recommended but it’s still not something I was expecting. I may never be able to show my birds again.

Things are just piling on and I’m exhausted.

I have a much more patient buyer lined up for Dotty. I feel awful but I can’t deal with her any longer.

Whoo so that’s what’s happening around here. Anyway. Good night everyone!

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a lot going on. Sending lots of hugs!!!!

Sorry about your flock and Dotty, two big things to deal with
Thank you. Dotty is going somewhere better. Where they have better milk machines and more training to spare with her. I’m very worried about my flock but I’m trying to do everything the vet wants and recommended.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry about the baby's deafness, it will be a learning curve with him but at least you have some experience. I would be at a loss for sure.
I am glad that you have found a new home for the cow. She has been a thorn in your side for awhile.
You have too much going on to deal with that right now. And it will continue to be a very difficult demanding job with having twins... They are going to take up all your time and energy for a long time.

Sorry about the chickens... that is a tough one. If we have ever had any that we were concerned about, they were immediately treated and often were actually dispatched unless critical for a breeding line. Had some birds with Marek's many years ago and I wound up destroying the whole group. Lost some valuable bloodlines too. BUT, now we are dealing with a new virus in this area, that has been discovered in some commercial houses and they say it is in some wild birds... don't know much about it but it is a "bird flu" of some strain.... ALWAYS something.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@farmerjan this new strain is H5N1. If any bird in America has it, the entire flock is exterminated. It’s a zoonotic illness so they are legally required to seize your birds.
Yep not something I want to mess with. Thankfully mine are in a covered run but rethinking buying fro anyone.

@Cecilia's-life when is Dotty going ? How are the chickens.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thankfully mine are in a covered run but rethinking buying fro anyone.
so relatable. I'm in an area that was affected by an outbreak of avian flu a few years ago. They were euthanizing thousands of turkey on the turkey farms here. I was in a quarantine area, so for some time we could not buy, sell, or move birds. (FYI, those livestock premise registrations that people hate on so much are meant so farms can be contacted in these situations!) I took down my wild bird feeders then (and haven't used them since). It really makes you think...

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep not something I want to mess with. Thankfully mine are in a covered run but rethinking buying fro anyone.

@Cecilia's-life when is Dotty going ? How are the chickens.
Dotty is leaving tomorrow. :hitMy first cow baby ever. She will be missed but she just doesn’t fit in here. Her daughter will always be here as a reminder.

Chickens are fine. Picked up some antibiotics from the vet and prayed a rosary.