Cecilia's Journal

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hear the pinching pennies. The babies are going to need some heat so you’ll get to be warm when they come home I guess!
True. I will turn on heat for my babies. And I am going to try to learn how to use a sewing machine so I can use old fabrics as swaddles.
Is your cow behaving?
Not even in her vocabulary. Here’s her list of issues.
1. Horrible mother. Horrible. But I don’t blame her she is a dairy cow. That’s not really her fault.
2. Refuses to be hand milked peacefully. She has to be hobbled every time.
3. Dumb as rocks. She will walk right into the electric fence and be so surprised it hurts! Could you imagine that? Electric fence that hurts? Crazy.

But she has lovely utter conformation and she’s a sweet girl so I’m a little torn.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn’t expect a dairy cow to be a good mother unfortunately, unless you get one from someone who breeds for that. But having to hobble her every time would get old I would imagine! I had a goat like that, she got dried off early and sold. Hey at least she’s friendly!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I’m going to tell y’all something and y’all are going to laugh. I HATED goodwill as a kid. HATED it. It was so unsanitary in my mind and I hated it. Whenever my mom made me try on clothes I would almost barf every single time.

:eek: no,no,no Mom, we dont try anything on until is has gone through the wash--I would have hated that too:sick

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn’t expect a dairy cow to be a good mother unfortunately, unless you get one from someone who breeds for that. But having to hobble her every time would get old I would imagine! I had a goat like that, she got dried off early and sold. Hey at least she’s friendly!
She a cross between a jersey and a Holstein. I hoped the jersey would come through better but oh well. I think she’s only friendly because she real dumb.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I keep saying I want a milk cow, but I dont know anything about cows, and I am sure DH will think I have lost my mind, BUT, the price of milk from our Raw Milk Dairy is $12 a gal. I love the young family that has the dairy, its been in their family for many years, her Granddad started it.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep saying I want a milk cow, but I dont know anything about cows, and I am sure DH will think I have lost my mind, BUT, the price of milk from our Raw Milk Dairy is $12 a gal. I love the young family that has the dairy, its been in their family for many years, her Granddad started it.
You see, the trick is to sell to city slickers who don’t care what the price is. Our milk is $20 a gallon and a dozen eggs is $5. I also sell my friend’s duck eggs at $10 a dozen.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And I don’t have a hard time selling any of it! It costs me that much to produce all of those things organic, non-GMO, and ethically (adequate space, fresh water, adequate housing, veterinary care for everyone, medications, ect.). If it costs me that much, why not sell it that much to those who will pay?