Cecilia's Journal

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today was super successful! I got the duck eggs done, cheese made, church attended, children fed, pumped like 11 ounces, dinner made (chicken noodle soup), and now I’m steaming my soup scraps for the chickens. Mostly celery heads, carrot peels, and broccoli stems.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Today was super successful! I got the duck eggs done, cheese made, church attended, children fed, pumped like 11 ounces, dinner made (chicken noodle soup), and now I’m steaming my soup scraps for the chickens. Mostly celery heads, carrot peels, and broccoli stems.
Amazing! You are incredible.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Recently I’ve been absolutely starving all the time. What can I add to my food on a regular basis to increase my calories? Breastfeeding is knocking me out.
Anything with protein and calories--peanut butter, nuts, lean meat, shakes with protein powder, tuna salad, energy balls, booked eggs etc.

Make a few things ahead and just have them in the fridge to grab so it doesn't seem like a lot of work when you are hungry.

Eat your fruit and veggies too but protein and fat will help the sluggish feel.

And giving yourself some grace and down time, hard on a farm with chores, I know but it will help ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Recently I’ve been absolutely starving all the time. What can I add to my food on a regular basis to increase my calories? Breastfeeding is knocking me out.
Nursing cookies. :) A high-protein cookie, like an oatmeal cookie with nuts, peanut butter, etc. Keep them with your nursing/pumping stuff and eat a couple every time you nurse/pump. They're especially useful in the first few months when babies are slow to nurse and you don't have enough free time to take care of yourself.

Then when you get a chance for real food, focus on healthy (saturated) fats and protein. Eggs, bacon, salmon, tuna, cheese, milk, etc. Add in enough non-starchy veggies so you can poop.

Re: saturated fats. Saturated fats are structural fats. They're the type of fats that make up cell walls. Growing new cells = need saturated fats. They're what your babies need to grow.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Or maybe a nice orange loaf… walnuts has got me thinking. I could make a salad with that feta too… hmmm food.

walnuts and apples and spices are always a good combination along with some yogurt and lemon juice it is almost a waldorf salad. minus celery...