Cell Phones???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well my cell phone got turned off last week. My phone used to be part of a huge minute plan at my dh office. When the in laws owned the company it was no biggy. Now with new owners and restructuring I have been cut off. What makes me mad is they did not give me notice so I could not port my phone number to another network/ carrier etc...

I guess my question is , do you have one? do you use it?

Now that I have lost my phone number I really don't want to go through all the hassle of getting another. I am thinking I will just skip the whole cell phone thing for a while. What do you think?

So the second part of this dilemma is I cancelled all extra long distance on my house phone. Because I could call for free on the cell. So I am thinking about getting a Magic Jack. Does anyone have one???

This obviously does not solve the mobile problem but will enable me to make long distance calls again. Dh says I should just add log distance back to the house phone but I think the jack will be more cost efficient in the long run.

Any advice????

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I went over a year without one and just recently got one. It was DD's she had purchased it herself and the glass was cracked....she got a new one for her 16th bday and we replaced the glass on her old one and I got it.

With older kids I use it often to stay in contact with them and DH of course. Mostly I am not a big phone person...I text more that I talk.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Don't have one, never have, expect I never will. No need.

For long distance (not that I do *much* long distance calling) I use third party discounters, 10-10-230, sort of thing.

Every *rare* once in a while I sort of vaguely wish I had a cell phone, like if I have to stick around the house waiting for the vet to call back with when he's coming out to check out my horse's ulcerated eye (that was this morning :p)... but that's only a few times a year, and I can certainly put up with the inconvenience. Especially when compared to all the (IMO) inconveniences and 'traps' involved in HAVING a cell phone :)

DH has a Blackberry from work (he's a gov't computer sysadmin), but it is rarely used for non-work purposes and I myself do not even know the password or how to make it 'go' :p

Pat

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have a virgin mobile pay as you go. It has to be topped up every 3 months or you lose the money on it, but you can top up as low as $10 every 3 months. We mostly use it for long distance and since my kids and grandkids live in Texas and we're in Ohio.... I am glad to have it. Having it has saved us a number of times when a vehicle broke down or needed towed.

I have a *really* basic phone, it cost $14 at K-Mart.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Most of my friends have just the cell and no home phone.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I have a virgin mobile pay as you go. It has to be topped up every 3 months or you lose the money on it, but you can top up as low as $10 every 3 months. We mostly use it for long distance and since my kids and grandkids live in Texas and we're in Ohio.... I am glad to have it. Having it has saved us a number of times when a vehicle broke down or needed towed.

I have a *really* basic phone, it cost $14 at K-Mart.
I have Virgin Mobile, too. I really like it. Only use my cell phone for emergencies. Their phones start at around $15 or $20. The cheap ones are nice. They even have internet connection.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Don't have one and probably never will, but I can see where they might come in handy for travel. Payphones are now a rare thing. Sometimes they make me carry one on the the job and they are both a curse and a luxury. The curse being they can track me down, the luxury being I can track THEM down! :lol:

My home phone has freedom calling, which means I pay around $70 per month for unlimited long distance, caller ID, call waiting, three way calling, etc. I would never give up my landline for a cell phone only existence.....too unreliable, lose a charge too quickly, no service where I live and too many hidden charges.

My sis just called this morning and said her cellphone-only house(no teens/children) just got a big ol' cell bill of $397. That is more than my rent!!! :th

My co-workers complain of $500 cell bills all the time, as they have teens and young adults on their plans.

I think most cell usage is highly unnecessary, can cause a lot of young people to get in auto accidents, and do they really need to text the gal across the classroom from them every 5 seconds? :rolleyes:

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have ATT Go Phone, which I hardly use. I buy $25 worth of minutes (about 150) every three months. The remaining minutes roll over. After I have spent $100, the minutes don't expire for one year, and I get about twice as many minutes per dollar. So basically, once a year I now buy a $25 card which is now about 300 minutes, and it is good for a year. And the remaining minutes still roll over. I use it only for emergencies, so I now have a couple thousand minutes in the "bank". $2 a month is pretty good insurance.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I have a TracFon. You buy the phone at Wal-Mart with minutes included, then buy more min each year. I don't even use up 300/year since it's just for emergencies or urgent convenience--like I'm going to be home late and need to call husband to get the kids off the bus. This phone costs about $10/month and I lived just fine without it before. Now with both kids in school and our car getting really, really old I like the security it gives me.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I rarely use my cell or even call out on it. Until recently that is when I cut back everything on my home line. I reduced my home line to 16 bucks a month and really want to keep it that way.

The only reason I ever had a cell was for emergencies and if the kids school needed me asap. I always have this fear of coming home from errands and finding a message that one of the kids has had an accident.

I read about the ATT go phones. Since my home line is ATT I think I can get a good deal on one. I like the idea that the minutes roll over if not used.

I guess I will just need to check out some pay as you go phones and their long distance plans.

thanks again, gina