Cell Phones???

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SS means different things to different people. In my opnion, there is not enough arable land to support all families to homestead. (In our country, over 77% of the population lives in cities. In the world, the percentage is much higher. Could you imagine if all these people moved out into the country!) Also, many 'modern conviences' do greatly improve people's lives. I think urban homesteading is more viable. It is also more palitable for many people. You can take the good from both an independent rural life and from modern and convienent urban/suburban life.

Besides, if everyone was truly into living a life devoid of anything modern, ther would not be this great forum to discuss sustainable lifestyles.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I wish the urban homesteading thing would take off even more than it already has. Unfortunately in LOTS of places they are fighting such stupid zoning laws and etc it makes it very difficult.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I wish the urban homesteading thing would take off even more than it already has. Unfortunately in LOTS of places they are fighting such stupid zoning laws and etc it makes it very difficult.
Slowly, some of these zoning rules are being changed as more people say add chickens or compact windmills. If enough people try to persue urban homesteading, these bylaws/guidelines (most are actually not laws) will have to be changed.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok so forget my original thread about cell phones.... Someone start another about modern conveniences and lets do a challenge to see what we can live without. Then the world will really think we all belong under a log. I read that great article in MEN about the lady who was sitting in her kitchen grinding coffee by hand with a wind up radio and lantern.

I wished I was her.
If this is the same one I'm thinking of, the article was by Jenna Woginrich (sp?), who also wrote a cute book called "Made from Scratch," talking about her "homesteading" adventures. It's a fun read -- she's a very entertaining author.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Lady H - we seem to read a lot of the same books. I read made from scratch too, but I wasn't all that impressed. She does have a blog that I read from time to time, http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/

Speaking of urban homesteading, has anyone read FarmCity? I just finished it, and it was interesting. I like how the author points out the downsides of farming, and how hard it is sometimes, not just the 'fuzzy glow' parts.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What didn't impress you about it? It made me laugh out loud. I can't say it's a great how-to book; there are better ones for that. But I think her writing style is entertaining and I liked her honesty about messing up once in a while.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
Speaking of urban homesteading, has anyone read FarmCity? I just finished it, and it was interesting. I like how the author points out the downsides of farming, and how hard it is sometimes, not just the 'fuzzy glow' parts.
Yep, I'm reading it right now. I'm on the part where she hauled some horse manure in the back of her station wagon. :gig

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I thought I should put this concern under cell phones Can Anyone Help? Does anyone know of a website that will compare prices ,plans ,phones ,rules etc on PREPAID phones? I know there is at least one that is for postpaid. Our "V" phone supplier is so expensive We have family plan total 5 in group. We prob only use half after a price plan analysis . The minutes DO NOT rollover. Our c ontracts are up and it is in my hands now. We pay approx $146 a month. for 1400 mins, which for awhile it was 700 mins and we went over 2 times, due to hospital stay as well as moving from mainland to The Big Island phone calls .I am so sick of throwing our money in the trash.We do not text,we have Roadside ins on 3"kids" phones in case of a" breakdown" at day or night with autos.We do not do anything but stay under our minutes and not use the phone when we have alternative means such as watching timing when calls need to be made weeekends free,mobile to mobile included. We(family) are not big phone users.We currently use 500 max! Mobile to mobile helps kp minutes down and using email on comp when we can. We need voice mail free. Also does any prepaid service let you port your current cell phone number?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I'm on the part where she hauled some horse manure in the back of her station wagon.
I did that just yesterday, except that I have a subcompact Fit, even smaller. But I can definately relate.

What didn't impress you about it? It made me laugh out loud. I can't say it's a great how-to book; there are better ones for that. But I think her writing style is entertaining and I liked her honesty about messing up once in a while.
Well, I don't know if I can say this or if it will upset someone, but I felt like maybe the author was... um.... indulging in recreational 'herbs' the whole time. It was too 'oh, I'm sure everything will work out fine' for me. And I was mad at myself for not having written a book, since I have done all the SS things she has done and them some. That, and I don't like 'mountain music.' :/

Hmm, that makes me sound like a crank. Maybe I am. It's not that it was a bad book, I'm just glad I borrowed it from the library and didn't spend anything on it.