Cell Phones???

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I also have a pay as you go plan. I never run out of minutes. I don't give out the number except to immediate family, my son's school, etc. I use it only when necessary. It does give me peace of mind since I drive a 15 year old car. I like to know I can reach somebody if I get stuck on the back roads around here.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we have those trak phones too - we can get the phones and the minutes at the grocery (giant eagle) so we get the grocery/gas points too

we used to pay$150/month for 2 separate phones - we never used the fancy features and i hate using them. and we are just at the edge of the reception zone.....so we ditched the plans and went the cheap and easy way. its cheap and easy. and since i loose phones every 10 minutes..... its no big deal if i leave it in the hen house or whatever.

i normally only use it when i drive somewhere....but i cant talk and drive so i only use it to if i need help or if i'm lost.

the only phone thing that i keep is the long distance at home. i hate the cell to cell connections - i just cant hear them (i must be getting old!) so we kept the LD on the landline. plus my sis and bro are both long distance so its easy to just use the regular phone.

my best overuse of cell phone story???
my sis's 11 year old called her at 11:30pm FROM THE OTHER ROOM to say she couldnt sleep. no her legs were not broken. yes she waked my sis up. it was the most ridiculous thing i'd ever heard
;-)

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
we have those trak phones too - we can get the phones and the minutes at the grocery (giant eagle) so we get the grocery/gas points too

we used to pay$150/month for 2 separate phones - we never used the fancy features and i hate using them. and we are just at the edge of the reception zone.....so we ditched the plans and went the cheap and easy way. its cheap and easy. and since i loose phones every 10 minutes..... its no big deal if i leave it in the hen house or whatever.

i normally only use it when i drive somewhere....but i cant talk and drive so i only use it to if i need help or if i'm lost.

the only phone thing that i keep is the long distance at home. i hate the cell to cell connections - i just cant hear them (i must be getting old!) so we kept the LD on the landline. plus my sis and bro are both long distance so its easy to just use the regular phone.

my best overuse of cell phone story???
my sis's 11 year old called her at 11:30pm FROM THE OTHER ROOM to say she couldnt sleep. no her legs were not broken. yes she waked my sis up. it was the most ridiculous thing i'd ever heard
;-)
No, you are not old. I am in my 20s and hate cell to cell calls. I had roommates that insisted we not have a house phone. It ended up costing quite a bit that school year. Housephones are much cheaper than a cell especially if you are calling locally. Calling cards for long distance is also a better option than cell phones.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't know about magic jack.....heard a bit but never looked into it for what it truly offers

no cell phone for me. I never use them. just don't want one ever

Tony has Nextel. He can "beep" his buddies---they all got Nextel.
His is only $39 per month--with taxes etc comes to like $44. it never changes.

long distance. I rarely call anyone long distance..LOL...so it doesn't matter to me.

You gotta evaluate what you want that cell phone for? then you can know if you can live without it or not.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Gina- Our next door neighbor got a Magic Jack and had problems with it. It took them a few days to figure out they had assigned the same phone number to 2 customers.

I recommend Skype. They have different plans depending on what you want but the service has been good for us. Huge $ savings. You can get a number that calls out and allows incoming calls for much less than normal phone companies.
Their site is skype.com

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What did we all do before cell phones??? If we were driving a back road and broke down, we walked to the nearest house or waited till someone come by. I know,..people have issues because its "not safe" anymore. Was it really any safer 20 or 30 years ago??? I don't think so. Weirdos have been around since the dawn of time and they are never going away. As far as having one in an emergency,..I had one for three years and never had an emergency so big that I had to have a phone on me(the one day I did need it,I had no signal). The kids having cell phones,..I used to think it was a grand idea,..not anymore. Just one more distraction to keep them from getting a good education. I had enough one day when I figured out that I no longer could actually be by myself,..someone always knew exactly where I was at at all times. Enough was enough,..I put out over 400$ to terminate 3 cell lines. Never again,..my DH has one and I would love to run it over with my truck, but he "needs" it. I guess though it is all in what you need. I will stick with basic landline and that is only because my kids are in school and they may need me for something. When they are grown,...no more phones at all for me.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No cell phone here :). No need. Hubby has one, and for him it is worth it, cuz if he gets a call from work for an OT shift, the phone has already paid for itself. He has a pay as you go one bought so many minutes, and they expire after a year.

We have cordless here at home, so if I'm in the barn or whereever, I cnan bring the phone with me. If I'm out and about. it is such a nice feeling to be 'alone'.

Look inot majic jack for you ld, or there is skype, vonage etc., or see if your phone provider can offer you a deal. If ours hadn't, we would have done the 10-10-320 (or whatever it is, like Pat does. Also, if you knowthat the person you are calling has a plan, get them to call you back. My sil always calls and says,Hi! Call me back!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just looked at virgin mobile phones. The cheapest one is actually free. I'm not sure if you have to have a plan or agreement. Figure it is like the other ones. Top up with $20 to get a phone number.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a go phone. I don't use it unless I need to - usually turned off in my purse.

I will keep a charged cell phone for emergencies now always. You don't even need a plan or minutes on it to dial 911. Did you know that?

I tested the theory last summer.

Cimarron National Grasslands Kansas - 108,175 acres of short grass and sand sage prairie - us alone in the middle of that only two campers in three days of camping in the campsite - absolutely NO idea where we are since NO roads are marked - truck stuck belly deep in a sandbar on the Cimarron River - no cell phone service since TOPEKA!

Dial 911 and here comes the sheriff to save the day within the hour.

Yep. I am keeping a cell phone. ;) :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Never had a cell phone and not really planning on it.

Several years ago my dad said he was going into town to get four cell phones, on a whim. When he came back he only had one. We thought we'd all have cell phones. Nope, he gave the other three to his two brothers and one brother's wife. LOL.

My brother got one before going into college but he doesn't use it much. Its more of an issue because they both have troubles with them. I can't count the many times I've heard all about the stupid cell phone. And whenever someone called when my dad is driving he swerves all over the road trying to get it out of his pocket, and then continues to swerve all over while on the phone.

So I have no desire to own one.

My friend has a real fancy one, with all the gadgets. Once when I was asking him why he never asked me to the movies or any of those things he did with people every week, he said that he would if I had a cell phone to text. Helloooooo. Cell phones work more ways than one now days. Guess he can't be bothered. Great friend. LOL. :lol:

Of course, when you need a cell phone and in your in dire need, like someone is trying to kill you, they never have service anyway. I've watched enough horror movies to know that. :p