Cellphones

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cell phones are EVIL!!

Just another distraction from reality. You really think those things are going to work in a SHTF situation. Nope !! IMO

Don't get me wrong I do see how they can save time and gather info quick but to addictive. :( I feel people need to talk face to face more.

:celebrate

wYs Ranch

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
my job requires me to have one, 24/7.... I'm allowed to use for personal use, so thats a perk I guess. I don't like to talk on the phone, but at least anyone who needs to reach me, can.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I take a lot of pics w/my cell phone! Of the inside of my jeans pocket. :hide

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We ditched our land line phone and got our wireless internet thingy lumped in with our cell phones. Just under $150 for 2 phones with texting and pics and the internet access.

I hate to talk on the phone. I always have. I like my phone cause I can text hubby my grocery lists and he can stop at the store on the way home. I am home by myself with 2 little ones and I like being able to send pics/videos to hubby when they do something funny.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
What's funny is people under 25 or so. They don't even use the talk feature. They just text. I pick my son up 1 hour away and he receives text messages the whole time we are driving. The good part is that we can actually talk the whole time. Meanwhile he's talking to 3 other people.

I can't live without a cell. i never had one until I got into the field I'm in and I had to have one. Now if I forget it I fell nekid. I worry about my car breaking down and being 5 miles from anything. I make sure the DW has one too. We have a 99 Suburban and I'm afraid of her getting stranded with 5 kids in the car. Those were unavoidable worries before cell phones. Now that the technology is available I will use it.

That being said the cost of the plans is outrageous. Of course I know the plan includes the cost of the phone and the new phones are very high tech. Still it cost 89.00 if you want text and internet capability.

My 2 teenage girls get trac phones. They get 5.00 a week allowance for feeding animals and cleaning. If they want minutes to talk or text they use their allowance. I like them having a phone in an emergency though. Pay phones are non existent these days.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
We ditched our land line phone and got our wireless internet thingy lumped in with our cell phones. Just under $150 for 2 phones with texting and pics and the internet access.

I hate to talk on the phone. I always have. I like my phone cause I can text hubby my grocery lists and he can stop at the store on the way home. I am home by myself with 2 little ones and I like being able to send pics/videos to hubby when they do something funny.
It's funny how many hubbys you see on the phone in the grocery store calling the wife. Better than having to go back to the store to get the right thing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
That being said the cost of the plans is outrageous. Of course I know the plan includes the cost of the phone and the new phones are very high tech. Still it cost 89.00 if you want text and internet capability.

My 2 teenage girls get trac phones. They get 5.00 a week allowance for feeding animals and cleaning. If they want minutes to talk or text they use their allowance. I like them having a phone in an emergency though. Pay phones are non existent these days.
I thought prepaids were stupid - for indigents who were stupid enough to fall for it... :/ But I have the Smart Talk through WalMart and it's 1000 minutes, 1000 text, plus web (not sure how much) for $30/month. I think you buy the actual phone though? Not sure - mine was the early Christmas present. :)

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Dunkopf said:

I thought prepaids were stupid - for indigents who were stupid enough to fall for it... :/ But I have the Smart Talk through WalMart and it's 1000 minutes, 1000 text, plus web (not sure how much) for $30/month. I think you buy the actual phone though? Not sure - mine was the early Christmas present. :)
If they can show they are responsible enough, they will get a better setup in the future. Yes you have to buy a more expensive phone for that other plan you are talking about. Virgin has a real nice phone for 89.95 with unlimited minutes for 25.00 a month for a recharge. When they get older we'll switch to a family plan.

I agree an adult would only want a trac phone if they had terrible credit.