Chap Stick containers?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beeswax is such a complete pain to clean and process that I don't bat an eye at any of the prices listed above. It makes a tremendous mess and I'd rather buy it than process my own. EVERYthing is a mess after I melt down my own.

And 1 lb of beeswax goes a LONG way. Lip balm is generally in a 0.15-oz container. If beeswax was 20% of a lip balm recipe, 16 oz of beeswax (even at $9/lb) would make 533 lip balm tubes. That is quite a lot.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
the funny farm6 said:
Found it! (At the 3rd store of course) thank you! Can you ad a couple drops of mint extract to add a little scent and touch of flaver?
Of course you could! :D I'll be adding essential oils to mine for different healing benefits!

Now I'm looking around my house for all the chap stick containers that I can pitch the junk that is in them and refill! :D

I have some hand made tubes from a friend of my sister's, and I noticed this morning that one of them is thicker than the other, I tend to like the one better that goes on smoother, but I also noticed that the thicker one makes my lips shiny, which is an added benefit (and it probably has a lower melting temp, which would be good in the warm months...)
How interesting.....
ChapStick used to be a trademark for this product but the status was lost by "genericization" in the US and Canada, it is still protected in some other parts of the world however. It was invented in Virginia in the 1880s and still produced there today in the same plant that produces Preparation H, I guess they get you coming and going so to speak. LOL. Doing some research I am fairly sure that the product never contained beeswax but had so many different versions over the years that it is hard to be sure. Early on they realized that controlling the smear/melting point of the stick was critical. Since you are shooting for a different Natural formulation you are going to have re-solve that problem on your own, Lots of luck!
They were aware of the problem of using the product with gloves mentioned in post #17 and came out with a limited edition that they thought solved the problem and tested it through sales in ski shops. Sales really took off but so did complaints, they had molded a little snap on to the cap so it could be used as a zipper pull and remove the cap. The complaints were that the tubes would be missing when they wanted to use them. They figured the old way was best; people would remove their glove when they wanted to apply the product. ~gd

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Didn't they also put it in a little tube similar to toothpaste, but with an applicator tip? I'm pretty sure that's what I used when skiing. No need to remove gloves!

edited for spelling

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never ventured into lip balms. All of the homemade product I've used was less than desirable. I finally started using chicken poop ($2.50/tube), and even though it's slightly expensive, the stuff lasts forever. I've thought of modeling their formula, but that's for way later down the road, since you simply can't beat $2.50 for a year's supply of the stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
Didn't they also put it in a little tube similar to toothpaste, but with an applicator tip? I'm pretty sure that's what I used when skiing. No need to remove gloves!

edited for spelling
True, they do, but I don't know that you could personally fill those, I think it takes a manufacturing process to do that. Not that the tubes aren't super useful!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I've never ventured into lip balms. All of the homemade product I've used was less than desirable. I finally started using chicken poop ($2.50/tube), and even though it's slightly expensive, the stuff lasts forever. I've thought of modeling their formula, but that's for way later down the road, since you simply can't beat $2.50 for a year's supply of the stuff.
Chicken Poop!?!?!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
:p It was more of an addition to ~gd's comments. I think it would be really difficult to squeeze balm back into that little hole! :lol:

hqueen13

Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
:p It was more of an addition to ~gd's comments. I think it would be really difficult to squeeze balm back into that little hole! :lol:
It might be funny to watch ya try!!! :p

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Seriously, my homemade lip balm is the best I've ever had, and I've bought a boatload of balm through my life. Please don't get the impression that homemade balm is inferior. It is FAR superior.

You can make EO combinations like lavender-mint, blood orange-tea tree, chocolate-mint, peppermint-rosemary, whatever you like that is lip safe. WAY more fun and much nicer texture than Chapstick.

My kids know it's an insult to me to refer to my balms as Chapstick :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, that's it! If you found me unhelpfull or you just didn't want my help you could have Just said so! There will be other threads in the future.....