Chap Stick containers?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Bettacreek said:
I've never ventured into lip balms. All of the homemade product I've used was less than desirable. I finally started using chicken poop ($2.50/tube), and even though it's slightly expensive, the stuff lasts forever. I've thought of modeling their formula, but that's for way later down the road, since you simply can't beat $2.50 for a year's supply of the stuff.
Chicken Poop!?!?!
http://www.ilovechickenpoop.com/

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
~gd said:
OK, that's it! If you found me unhelpfull or you just didn't want my help you could have Just said so! There will be other threads in the future.....
Huh? Are you talking to me?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
~gd said:
OK, that's it! If you found me unhelpfull or you just didn't want my help you could have Just said so! There will be other threads in the future.....
Huh? Are you talking to me?
I'll interpret that as silly humor.

I found it fascinating, and yup, they do get you going and coming! :gig

me& do you have any tips you can share about your balms? I think I can just add that to the list of things to make once I get more ingredients....

me&thegals

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, but from my reading I have found the obvious: Different fats/oils will impart different things. While I love castor oil as a small percent of my lip balm, others feels it dries them out. I love grapeseed oil and safflower also, but I will be removing them as I've been having problems this summer with the balms going rancid after 2 days in the sun at each market.

Otherwise, I just have a simple process of using a designated Pyrex liquid measuring cup, a digital scale, and then simply measure my ingredients into the Pyrex, melt them in the microwave, add my essential oils (see websites for accepted usage %), stir and pour into my lip balm tubes.

While my lip balms are 1 part beeswax to 4 parts oils, my body balm is 1 part beeswax to 5 parts oil, just a bit softer.

I'm not sure if that helps or what sort of information you were after...

gd--I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. I was referring to someone else's comment that they've not been able to find a good homemade lip balm--letting them know that it can be far superior to storebought commercial stuff.

hqueen13

Reaction score
so me& your body balm is a soft balm, not like a lotion bar, correct? Just wanted to be sure I had the context correct! How do you package the body balm?
I am considering exploring this type of thing, mostly as a gift to my mom and grandmother, but ultimately I think it would be nice to sell if I can make it a lucrative thing (in all my copious spare time, really......)
Thanks!

me&thegals

Reaction score
hqueen--can you tell me what you mean by a lotion bar?

My balm is 3 oz in a round tin. The surface seems about as hard as lip balm, but once you gouge into it you're able to get out more balm for heavier use. My balm is made with olive oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil and beeswax. My lip balm currently is palm kernel oil, olive oil, safflower and grapeseed oils, beeswax, castor oil, vitamin E and EOs.

I sell mine for $9. People actually don't bat an eye, amazingly. Not too many sell, and they last forever, but people who get hooked come back for more. And they're so versatile--I use mine for lip balm, cracks in hands and feet, dry skin, around my eyes at night, on my kids' chests during colds (with certain EOs). Could be used on diaper rash.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How much eo do you put in? And do you shave or grate the beeswax before melting? Will be making my first lip balm this afternoon.

me&thegals

Reaction score
You have to look up usage rates for the essential oils. They should be FCC (food safe), as about half of lip balm ends up accidentaly ingested. When I had my own blocks of beeswax, I melted them, then added oil. Now I have small pellets of beeswax that I've purchased and melt them at the same time with the other oils. Good luck!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I DID IT!!
I DID IT!!
:clap

Turned out great! Gave a 1/2 oz jar to my neighbor for a christmas gift, and she loves it.

hqueen13

Reaction score
me&: This is the recipe that I found that I want to make: http://frugalkiwi.co.nz/2011/12/solid-lotion-bar-recipe/ I'll be working on the 'Cadillac' recipe, not the other one (yuck, vegatable oil!). The whole reason is that my sister's friend makes them, and uses EO's in them, but not super high quality ones I don't think. While my mom was staying with us I was letting her use my really good EO's, and it was REALLY helping her hands with her arthritis. She was wondering outloud if we could get some of the better oils to my sister's friend to make a custom blend. About a week later, I stumbled on Frugal Kiwi's site, and that recipe, and tada, now I'm going to make them (what the heck am I getting myself into!??! :hide
Your concept of balm is interesting, I might have to also try that at some point, too. What the heck! Try it all!

FF Congrats!!! :weee I am jealous! I have to get my supplies and then I can start.... I'm all nervous and waiting and excited! LOL