Chap Stick containers?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
I DID IT!!
I DID IT!!
:clap

Turned out great! Gave a 1/2 oz jar to my neighbor for a christmas gift, and she loves it.
Awesome!!

me&thegals

Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
me&: This is the recipe that I found that I want to make: http://frugalkiwi.co.nz/2011/12/solid-lotion-bar-recipe/ I'll be working on the 'Cadillac' recipe, not the other one (yuck, vegatable oil!). The whole reason is that my sister's friend makes them, and uses EO's in them, but not super high quality ones I don't think. While my mom was staying with us I was letting her use my really good EO's, and it was REALLY helping her hands with her arthritis. She was wondering outloud if we could get some of the better oils to my sister's friend to make a custom blend. About a week later, I stumbled on Frugal Kiwi's site, and that recipe, and tada, now I'm going to make them (what the heck am I getting myself into!??! :hide
Your concept of balm is interesting, I might have to also try that at some point, too. What the heck! Try it all!

FF Congrats!!! :weee I am jealous! I have to get my supplies and then I can start.... I'm all nervous and waiting and excited! LOL
That looks great!

It looks like they have a much harder bar, which is fine and probably necessary when it stands alone and needs to be handled without melting. I'm going for "scoopability" with mine, but I'd love to try these, too. I've seen 2-oz lotion bar tubes, like a giant lip balm tube, that would be nice for trying out a harder body balm.

me&thegals

Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I love grapeseed oil and safflower also, but I will be removing them as I've been having problems this summer with the balms going rancid after 2 days in the sun at each market.
I want to clarify myself :) I meant that my balms spent an entire summer at the market, 2 days per week in the hot sun. They would have NO problems with 4-6 months of cooler temps without going rancid, but this summer they went bad (some of them) by the end of the summer. It's very interesting to me that the wintergreen EO and grapefruit EO seemed most prone to going rancid. My balms are usually a nice yellow from the yellow beeswax, but when they start turning quite white instead, they're almost always going rancid.

Anyway, for personal use it's probably not much of an issue. But for selling I definitely want to find a great recipe that not only feels wonderful but holds longer.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Very strange about the wintergreen and grapefruit. I wonder why that is. I would have thought wintergreen wouldn't have... Oh well. I wonder if you added a tiny bit of honey if that would help, since honey is all anti-stuff and everything...
Too many things to learn and experiment with!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am very happy with mine. But I think next time I will use a little less besswax, I would like it to be a little softer. But I used the little 1/2 oz pots, if were were in tubes it would be fine.

p.s. the kids love it!

Also how do you get yours in the tubes? For the pots I just used an old bent tablespoon( knew I didn't throw it away for a reason!) But the tubes are so small.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I've tried honey, but I can't get it to stay in suspension. I read recently that there's a way to do this, or even stick blend it until it does, but I haven't figured it out. I don't know about why some EOs do that, but I guess all oils have a shelf life and perhaps theirs are just shorter...

I pour my balm when it is melted right into the tubes, using the liquid Pyrex measuring cup (with a pour spout) that I've measured the ingredients into in the first place. Hope that helps :)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do those of you that sell these items, do you put lables on them? If so where do you get them?

me&thegals

Reaction score
I do. I believe by law lip balms must be labeled. Soap doesn't need to be. But if it is labeled, then it must be labeled properly with weight of bar and ingredients in descending order by weight, but Farmerchick would be a far better resource on this!

For lip balm, studies show that about 50% of the balm is ingested while drinking, eating, licking lips. People really need to know what is in the balm, especially for allergy reasons. My label source I met online on a soap forum. She was from South Africa but is no longer doing labels. I stocked up bigtime before she quit. Not sure what I'll do next. There are lots of sources for labels, but not as cheap as I was getting them.