CheerioLounge - Desert Dreamin'

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
]Look for Tetras!! They are a cross between Leghorn and RIR, very heat tolerant, and lay a brown (actually almost pink) egg. TSC has them exclusively though...dunno if you're going there or another feed store They're a hybrid, but they are pretty good birds to have around because they still forage really well.
Unfortunately the closest TSC is about 250 miles away. (give or take)

pinkfox said:
yup, the mediteranians as far as im aware all lay white eggs...but are going to always be some of the best layers out there in terms fo pure breeds. (i plan on doing brown leghorns myself)
i dont understand everyoens facination with "brown eggs" it confuses me here this "brown eggs are better" thing came from?

Comets, production reds, black and red stars (all sex link layers) tend to do well in the heat
and if im remembering right new hampshires and rhode island reds tend to do ok as long as there given a shady spot
havent heard of the tetras before but id definatly check them out as most hybrids tend to do well for all climates...
I'l probably end up with whatever they have at the feed store. Most likely RIR or Production Reds. I think people associate brown eggs with "homegrown" as opposed to the white "factory" eggs.

Edited to correct distance to nearest TSC store. I kind overestimated! :lol:

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think people associate brown eggs with "homegrown" as opposed to the white "factory" eggs.
So green eggs are totally out of the question, huh? :lol:

My BIL is one of the pickiest eaters I've ever met. Our first spring out here, the girls were laying like crazy and I kept the family in eggs. On one of his days off, he goes to make breakfast for the family. So he pulls out the egg carton, opens it and it's full of green shelled eggs. Sis said he about had heart failure over them and he made oatmeal instead! :lol: Tells her to trade them out for mom's white eggs because he knows Dad won't eat green eggs neither (Mom was loaded with my green eggs, too).

So, Sis tells him okay. She made "breakfast for dinner" while he was outside and used the green eggs. He was sooo sure that he was eating white eggs that he went back for seconds and then proceeded to rave about how good they were! :gig

If he only knew the truth about some of the things we actually feed him! :gig

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
J was the same way when we first got the chickens. I had to sneak our eggs in with the store bought eggs when I scrambled eggs for breakfast. He had no idea that eventually he was eating only our eggs, until he realized that we hadn't bought eggs for about a week. :p
He's the kind of guy that if a fly lands on a corner of his sandwich, the whole thing has to be thrown out. How he ever survived living in Samoa, I'll never know! It was impossible to keep flies from landing on your food there! And I'll bet he ate more ants than he realizes! :lol:

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
So this morning about 7:30 I'm sitting on the sofa tying my shoes and J hollers from the bedroom that the "Old Man" just drove through. I'm guessing that he came by to pick me up to go to Wally World. I jumped up and went running out the door, but he's already out on the road and driving away. :th Why he doesn't call first or at least honk when he pulls up, I'm going to have to discuss with him today! :rant I was dressed and ready to go and he just does a drive by! :barnie I guess he thinks I have Superman hearing and x-ray vision! Needless to say, I'm just a little bit disappointed. :(

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You need to learn how to sail on land. Then, you'd just need a good wind to take you to town.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im sorry cheerio!

you can actually order the tetra tints online at mt-healthy hatchery :)
ive never ordered from them so i dont know what thier minimum orders are like (its usually about 25) but im sure you could easily sell off any extras if it was a breed your interested in...

e-fowl doesnt have the tetras BUT they have smaller minimum orders and if you want a mixed flock you can order as few as 5 per breed form them as long as you have a total mimum of 15 chickens to ship...
healthychicksandmore doesnt have as large a selection but theres is a 10 chick minimum order and no additional shipping (its like $5 each for sexed hens, thats where we got my mums first chickens and had a 100% sucess (and all correctly sexed) given shipping is usually close to $30 for 25 chicks, $50 for 10 sexed chicks including shpping worked out perfectly for us lol.

might be worth looking into one of the many online hatcheries given TSC is so far away... :) that way you can at least get exactly what you want rather than a case of whatever tsc has...

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Pinky! I'll check it out.

Even after yesterday's bad start, it turned out to be a pretty good day. One of J's clients, who has become a friend, came by to visit and to have some alterations done. She recently had a breast augmentation and needs a few things expanded! ;) She also wants J to make her a dress for her DH's homecoming from Afghanistan. Yay! $$! :ya So she hung out for several hours and we had a nice chat about all kinds of things. I gave her a couple of bread recipes. She "had to have" my sandwich bread recipe, after having chicken salad for lunch on my freshly baked bread. It's not "my" recipe, I got it off line, but I didn't tell her that! Then, J's cousin called and her DH needed a suit altered. So they came by after dinner and J did the alterations while we all caught up on the family gossip! :p

Oh, I talked with the "Old Man." Pointless... I think he's losin' it... Oh well, I'll try to hitch a ride the next time.

Today is breezy and forecast to be in the mid 70's. Deb - I promise... I've got nothin' to do with the wind in Jersey! :/

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:caf
Good morning all! I have read, and read and read to get caught up. I have so enjoyed your witty reparte'.