Chicken Soup - It's Time

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That soup looks good!
My favorite sound from the kitchen right now is the ping of a jar sealing, lol!
In a couple of weeks I will be butchering my cornish cross chickens. I plan to can Chicken 'N Dumpling and Chicken Stew bases along with the pints of dark meat and quarts of broth. So nice to have handy meals for the winter. Nothing beats getting home after work and having Chicken 'N dumplings for supper. My recipe takes almost 3 hours from scratch, but once it is canned, it is 15 minutes of prep for the dumplings and simmer for 1/2 hour while I do chores.

I always use a clean cloth dipped in vinegar to wipe the rim of the jars before putting on the lid. Vinegar will cut any fats, grease, etc. that gets on the rim. I like to hedge my bet to make sure everything seals. Just a habit I got in from following the Ball Canning recipes when I first started canning.

I use the vinegar to wipe the rim on tuna jars as well to cut the fat.

You're almost inspiring me to can up some soups. Maybe after all this busy stuff is done here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made chicken salad sandwiches tonight from my canned chicken.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got a huge tom turkey we need to butcher. He's too big already to fit in the oven for Thanksgiving (thank goodness the hen is smaller) so I'm probably going to freeze a couple of breast roasts and the wings and then can the rest. We are just waiting until DH's cut hand heals.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got a huge tom turkey we need to butcher. He's too big already to fit in the oven for Thanksgiving (thank goodness the hen is smaller) so I'm probably going to freeze a couple of breast roasts and the wings and then can the rest. We are just waiting until DH's cut hand heals.

I got one of turkeyzilla Toms also. Even with only the bottom oven rack in he might be two wide to shut the oven door

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Piece those huge turkeys out and roast the legs and thighs separate from the breast sections. The breast meat cooks fast than the thighs and by piecing and cooking only until you reach done temperature, you will have a perfectly cooked meal. Most of the Thanksgiving turkey that i have consumed had overcooked breast meat that was really dry. The time I pieced out the turkey because it wouldn't fit in my roasting pan, it turned out perfectly.