Chicken Soup - It's Time

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Peckadoodle You need to write your recipe down. My Taco Stew includes hominy, diced tomatoes, black beans,and Rotel tomatoes. It might be time to have that again. The best thing about it is that it freezes well!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You did good! 30 pints of chicken soup! It sure will be good this winter. It's hard to beat home grown chicken.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Funny... Yins are liking this post as I was sitting here eating a bowl of this chicken soup with crushed salteens. I must say it's really good and I know it's also good for me too :)
IMG_20171118_224250500.jpg

Peckadoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Simple...just start with well seasoned chicken or poultry stock. Perfect for leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Add diced tomatoes and the 5 C's (cabbage, carrots, corn, cumin and coriander). I add pasta after the soup gets bubbling, but pasta is optional. Top with taco chips.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Was traveling today across the state and kept picturing creamy chicken soup all the way home. So, got some jars out of the pantry and started combing ingredients, made a creamy roux out of chicken fat, stock, flour and canned milk for the creamed part.

Right now I'm in the simmering stage but the smell is driving me wild! Crusty homemade bread to dip into it and we have a meal that would rival any one would find in a fine dining place.

So incredibly luxurious to be able to just shop in the pantry, put together a gourmet quality meal in a very short amount of time. We country folk sure do live the good life, don't we? :drool

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We made a chicken soup last night as well. I did the usual suspects- chicken, carrots, celery, onion... then I added some green chilies and Tony Chachere's for seasoning, and some of my low carb macaroni at the end. It was wonderful!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That soup looks good!
My favorite sound from the kitchen right now is the ping of a jar sealing, lol!
In a couple of weeks I will be butchering my cornish cross chickens. I plan to can Chicken 'N Dumpling and Chicken Stew bases along with the pints of dark meat and quarts of broth. So nice to have handy meals for the winter. Nothing beats getting home after work and having Chicken 'N dumplings for supper. My recipe takes almost 3 hours from scratch, but once it is canned, it is 15 minutes of prep for the dumplings and simmer for 1/2 hour while I do chores.

I always use a clean cloth dipped in vinegar to wipe the rim of the jars before putting on the lid. Vinegar will cut any fats, grease, etc. that gets on the rim. I like to hedge my bet to make sure everything seals. Just a habit I got in from following the Ball Canning recipes when I first started canning.