Chiggers from clothesline dryed clothes?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
August, near as I can tell chiggers are a specialty of our lovely United States. Lovechooks here is from Down Under... Australia.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Now I know what those red things are! I've heard of the term 'chigger' but never knew what it was. I guess I'm lucky, we rarely see chiggers up here, I maybe see 10-20 a year on the ground, they've never bothered us.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Lovechooks - in Australia you have something similar called scrub itch mites.

I just love Wikipedia

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I know from experience that you can get chiggers from laying clothes on the ground and then wearing them later without laundering. Did you put your laundry basket on the grass while you were hanging things or taking in, or did the shorts fall onto the ground at some point?

If they are getting onto the clothesline itself -- which I would think unlikely, but I suppose it's not impossible -- then perhaps you could rig some sort of chigger-excluder at each end. Paint a section with Tanglefoot or something like that.

Good luck,

Pat, extremely glad to be living now in a place without chiggers (and nearly without ticks either, woo hoo! yay frozen North :p)

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I know from experience that you can get chiggers from laying clothes on the ground and then wearing them later without laundering. Did you put your laundry basket on the grass while you were hanging things or taking in, or did the shorts fall onto the ground at some point?

If they are getting onto the clothesline itself -- which I would think unlikely, but I suppose it's not impossible -- then perhaps you could rig some sort of chigger-excluder at each end. Paint a section with Tanglefoot or something like that.

Good luck,

Pat, extremely glad to be living now in a place without chiggers (and nearly without ticks either, woo hoo! yay frozen North :p)
Ah, Pat the woman w/all of the answers :weee

That is EXACTLY what I did...I'm super-clumsy, always dropping stuff and my clothes hampers are always tipping over. I didn't even think about that! I'm so goofy thinking chiggers could fly or something :lol:

Lucky you Lovechooks, no chiggers and Australia? Thanks guys! I need to be more diligent about keeping my clothes off the lawn!

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
Lovechooks - in Australia you have something similar called scrub itch mites.

I just love Wikipedia
I googled and they look to be a tropical mite, so fortunetly we don't seem to have them in the town I am in either! But next time I go to QLD I will know to be careful!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I lived in Texas we had chiggers in the lawn every year and they often would make their way to inside your clothing at the waistline.

The fix is sulfur. Get a bag of it at any lawn supply place and cast it onto the lawn. That gets them good. I only had to treat once a year.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:
Eekk! They sound awful! We don't have them here but they do sound simular to scabies mite, that also burrows and bites and multiplies!
Here is a good link Chooks. The chiggers while annoying are not as bad as the scabies mites. scabies mite vs chigger

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Mackay said:
When I lived in Texas we had chiggers in the lawn every year and they often would make their way to inside your clothing at the waistline.

The fix is sulfur. Get a bag of it at any lawn supply place and cast it onto the lawn. That gets them good. I only had to treat once a year.
I have fruit trees and veggies in my lawn. Will the sulfur cause problems with these?