Chocolate Formula!?!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow!
I did not know MSG was so prevalent. I thought I was doing pretty well avoiding it by reading labels.

Thanks for the info.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yikes, hwillm1977, you're making me go yikes.

I don't eat many packaged things, but I had no idea it was in so many items.

I'm not up on my foodie chemistry, what's the difference in manufactured MSG and the free glutamic acid once it's in the body?
...cuz...you guys can't take my shredded beets from me!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't see it on the list, but Tony Sachere's creole seasoning also has MSG. Listed under "Spices". Got hooked on it when we lived in Lousiana for a while, but then I learned how to make my own :)

Okay, so chocolate "toddler formula" supplement? Come the heck on! At 12-16 months, they should be drinking whole milk and not taking in chocolate!
Oh, and now it has prebiotics. The better to move all that non-food through their developing systems. :he

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I'm not up on my foodie chemistry, what's the difference in manufactured MSG and the free glutamic acid once it's in the body?
...cuz...you guys can't take my shredded beets from me!
MSG has a single sodium atom "stuck" to the amino acid glutamate.

An excess of glutamate - even naturally occurring can cause the neurological problems associated with MSG.

MSG is converted by the body to GABA, which may be addictive. GABA affects the brain similarly to valium.

MSG stimulates insulin production, creating a blood sugar drop about an hour after eating. Which makes you eat more...

I don't think MSG is "evil" like it is often made out to be. But I do see how an excess is a problem. Given that it is in EVERYTHING, it seems to be easy to get an excessive amount.

FYI: there isn't really such a thing as an allergy to MSG. This site explains it much better than I can: http://www.msgtruth.org/whatisit.htm

I think it is best to avoid it, but not such a big deal to be religious about it. Home-cooked meals are always best, right?!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I looked around on that site some more.

http://www.msgtruth.org/foodfor.htm

The medication I am on for bipolar disorder is a glutamate blocker. Hmmm.... I should really avoid MSG religiously then.

ETA: I just learned that other glutamate blockers (ketamine) are being studied for bipolar. I am seriously curious right now.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I recently attended a brain injury CME/CEU seminar. A lot of it was on Alzheimer's. Glutamates and aspartates cause sodium, calcium, and (need to look at notes) to precipitate into the brain and other nerve tissue and is strongly implicated in this disease. Definitely will make it much worse. By the time one has symptoms it is FAR TOO LATE.

Although there may be small amounts of glutamates that are naturally occuring in a whole food diet, we are not designed to deal with the onslaught of harmful changes in foods that are processed, nevermind having glutamates added.

That is why I mentioned dairy. Dried milk is loaded with glutamates, and dried milk is added to many dairy products without labeling them as having it added. All milks that are not whole milk have it. Many other dairy products do as well, as it is used as a thickener in yogurt and sour cream, which is no longer made with whole cream.

Yikes.

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I thought you wanted a recipe for chocolate. :p

This is so wrong on so many levels. Did anyone watch Food Revolution with Jamie Oliver? I don't have kids, so I was shocked to see that they hand out chocolate milk to elementary students. Oliver said it has more sugar than a soda! (or a "fizzy pop" as he calls it).

I cannot imagine feeding a toddler anything chocolate. If we're starting them on a bad path so young, why don't we just add a little oxycontin in there too while we're at it?

Sickening! :somad

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My babies/toddlers got organic homemade foods, but my last child went on a hunger strike as a toddler ans I was told to put her on the toddler drink, I then started to buy her pedisure. Of course normal foods are best but when your kid eats just a grape for the whole day..........

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
dntd said:
My babies/toddlers got organic homemade foods, but my last child went on a hunger strike as a toddler ans I was told to put her on the toddler drink, I then started to buy her pedisure. Of course normal foods are best but when your kid eats just a grape for the whole day..........
Of course, as a mom you do your best and listen to your pediatrician....I don't think anyone's responses were directed at you :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
dntd, we didn't mean to hurt you. :hugs Really. Our outrage is against the manufacturers and any authority who recommends such stuff. They are VERY capable of making supplements and toddler formulas that are healthy. But they don't.

Many of us are living proof that one can survive a diet of non-food and garbage. I am a living testimony to the marvels of the human body to survive such things as trans fats, MSG, and diet coke! :rolleyes: All served on white bread! So I, for one, was not pointing fingers at you or any other mom....but at those who tell us that this is healthy stuff. And we believe it....until our eyes are opened by reading stuff like this forum. I ate nothing but stuff with similar labeling for most of my life. And was fed much of it by my mom, who is a very smart lady.

So accept my apology for any (unintended) insult to you.