Clyde is sick :(.... not good

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Here I sit, with a buckling goat in my lap, wrapped in a towel. He is bloated out on both sides of his abdomen, and doesn't much want to walk. Won'l lay down on his own.

I have to wait for another hour and a half to leave for the vet, as that is the only time they could get me in, and they are the only vet around that has goat experience. They treat all of the livestock for 100 miles.

Clyde's ears are cold, and his tail sticks straight out, .....poor guy, I don't know what happened, or what to do. He didn't eat any trash, or any weird plants. I'm lost. :(

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am so sorry!!! I don't know anything about goats. But I am sure he will be better soon. Time will pass quickly and I am sure the vet will fix him up in no time flat. :hugs

Gina

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Ok I'll try that.....vet will be able to get here between 2-3 central time....waiting sucks.

ETA....he hated that! LOL I put a dab of baking soda paste (loose paste) on my finger and put it in his mouth...that went over like a lead balloon. He's still grinding his teeth and complaining, and twisting his jaw like he ate a sour candy. :/

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx everyone....NCL, he has none of that. He actually looks like he's wanting, even trying to poop, but nothing. He's hating me right now for the baking soda incident, so he's pouting. I swear, that hour between 2 & 3 can't get here soon enough for me. I'm wondering if its worms. No idea :(

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You do need to ask the goat people over on Backyardherds.com (link at bottom of page) I read the link above and was wondering what this little guy has been eating? I never had to worry about "grass Founder" for my horses, until I had my own place, and my Vet warned me to keep them OFF of my lush south pasture when the Spring grass grows fast. read:
http://americashorsedaily.com/grass-founder/
At the worst, the extra sugar attempts to leave their bodies through the laminae in the hooves, and the least, they suffer from diarhea, and are gutty and bloated, like a child who ate all of the cookies in the jar. I'm not a goat owner, but there must be something that your goat has ingested, or he injested too much, too fast. If you can figure that out, your Vet can do a better job of helping. You know, it seems like we run to our forum BFF's sometimes before we call the Vet--at least I am guilty of this.