Clyde is sick :(.... not good

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
So the vet arrived and gave him 8cc of Thera-Bloat and 10cc of Mineral Oil, and left me with extra should I need it. No bottle tonight, and slow bottle for the next week. Evidently he drank too fast and the milk soured in his tummy before getting to the other one. So I'll be keeping an eye on him the rest of the day and the Vet said he should be "cleared out" by tonight. :fl

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts and advice!!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Its been an hour and a half since the meds, and although he's softened a bit, he still is bloated. I'm going to give it another hour and a half and see how he is. If there is no change, I'll give him a bit more Thera-Bloat and mineral oil (although probably not as much as the first round) and then check him before I go to bed.

Thank you again for all the well wishes for my baby boy!!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Keeping up the good thoughts for your little goatling! I was wondering if goats got bloat like cows can.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Yep, vet says it was from taking the bottle too fast. He also said if they eat too much clover in the beginning of weaning it can cause it. But since he hadn't had any greens at all since his bottle, the vet said that was the cause.

As of 8pm CST, he had softened up more, and even shrunk a bit, plus he actually ran up to me, so I know he's feeling better. Earlier I gave him 2cc of the bloat meds and only about 4cc of mineral oil. I know he's drinking water, and at last check he was nibbling around in the straw.

I have high hopes for a good morning :D :fl

Thanx everyone!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'll be thinking good healthy thoughts for you as I fall asleep tonight. I've been so worried for you both!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like he is on the mend! What a good momma you are!! Keep up the great work!!!!!!! saying a little prayer for you both!