C'mon chicken experts! What's wrong with my flock??

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Never feed dry dog or cat food. It is loaded with salt that chickens do not deal with very well.
Lots of meat and egg scraps for a few days, to see what changes might occur would be a good idea.

What feed do you give them, besides the treats?

Also, you might have just one hen that is doing this.
Any chance you could quietly observe the flock for a couple of hours?
Sit in a chair and read out of their sight.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I only feed a small amount of cat food every few days and usually with BOSS and oyster grit. They always leave the cat food till last but eventually they get around to it. Some people have suggested adding game bird feed to the layer feed as a way to boost protien as well.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
I only feed a small amount of cat food every few days and usually with BOSS and oyster grit. They always leave the cat food till last but eventually they get around to it. Some people have suggested adding game bird feed to the layer feed as a way to boost protien as well.
Most layer feeds ate at 16% protein, but we have learned that they do way better with 18-20%.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
lighthawk said:
Most layer feeds ate at 16% protein, but we have learned that they do way better with 18-20%.
Like I said this is my first winter and it has been a hard one. Still learning. Thanks for the cold weather tip.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
lighthawk said:
Like I said this is my first winter and it has been a hard one. Still learning. Thanks for the cold weather tip.
We're all still learning ;)
It would be foolish to say we have attained it all :lol:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Never feed dry dog or cat food. It is loaded with salt that chickens do not deal with very well.
Lots of meat and egg scraps for a few days, to see what changes might occur would be a good idea.

In reverse order, I use Purina Layena crumbles as their main feed. Then, at lunch time I give them a cob of corn to fight over ( ;) ) with maybe an apple or some broccoli. Then at dinner time I throw around some oatmeal & sprouts (lentils, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.)

I could definitely scramble some eggs...since I gave them some wormer, we're not supposed to eat their eggs for 10 days (or something like that), but can the chickens eat them? I think DH made some pork chops for lunch, maybe I can get his leftovers! (I'm vegetarian)

"Out of sight" is the key...they hear the house door open & they run right up to the front of the run. Maybe I need a security camera...:/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Bubblingbrooks said:

In reverse order, I use Purina Layena crumbles as their main feed. Then, at lunch time I give them a cob of corn to fight over ( ;) ) with maybe an apple or some broccoli. Then at dinner time I throw around some oatmeal & sprouts (lentils, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.)

I could definitely scramble some eggs...since I gave them some wormer, we're not supposed to eat their eggs for 10 days (or something like that), but can the chickens eat them? I think DH made some pork chops for lunch, maybe I can get his leftovers! (I'm vegetarian)

"Out of sight" is the key...they hear the house door open & they run right up to the front of the run. Maybe I need a security camera...:/
Yes, you an feed those eggs back to them.
And figuring out a way to watch behavior for a couple of hours will go a long ways towards seeing if you have a picker.
If you find one, you can take her out for a few days, feed her up well, then put her back. She will be at the bottom of the totem pole, and that will help curb the behavior.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
:lol: Thats funny, mine do the same thing. I can't even sneak out the door. I swear they can hear the door handle turn.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
i_am2bz said:
:lol: Thats funny, mine do the same thing. I can't even sneak out the door. I swear they can hear the door handle turn.
These bunch are sneaky, I tell ya. I've watched them from the house, thru the window in my home office, & never catch them in the act. It's like they know when I'm watching them. :rolleyes:

BB - will scramble some eggs for them tomorrow (can't hurt, right?). In fact, maybe I'll give some to the lame girl tonight, since I'll have her in the house with me.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a quick update...I have Miss Lame in a dog crate in my home office...she seems to be resting comfortably. :) Just cocking her head & giving me curious looks when I go in to check on her.

I gave her a small amount (2 Tbl) of feed & fresh water, which she scarfed down. Next I tried a very small (1 tsp) of high protein cat food that I have on hand (Nutro, I think) - no dice. Next I gave her probably a tablespoon of scrambled eggs. Nope. (Maybe she needs salt & pepper with a little melted grated cheese?) :lol:

At least she doesn't seem to be freaking out being in the crate. In an hour or so I'll go in to see if she's eaten anything else & turn off the light so she can sleep.

Anything else ya'll can think of, will be greatly appreciated!! I'm grateful for all your advice/suggestions. :)

Latest posts