C'mon chicken experts! What's wrong with my flock??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
being in the crate is way better than the pot of boiling water :lol: :lol:

hope they improve...animals are such a big pain when something goes wrong ugh I hear ya

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

hope they improve...animals are such a big pain when something goes wrong ugh I hear ya
Now, FC, you know I'm a vegetarian...if Miss Lame doesn't pull thru she'll be given a decent Christian burial. :plbb

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
FarmerChick said:

Now, FC, you know I'm a vegetarian...if Miss Lame doesn't pull thru she'll be given a decent Christian burial. :plbb
I would never eat a bird that wasn't in prime health anyway...:)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Instead of scrambling the egg....I always hard boil, and crush it up with the shell. My gals go gaga over it. I just boiled 4 dozen for them the other day. Mostly Banty eggs...a few duck eggs...mashed and fed to them...shells and all. I have a few gals with red bottoms as well...I am thinking they are just lacking in protein. I am in no way an expert...but it seems every spring..we go through this with a few hens. Clean out those nest boxes...add some DE....and up the protien. Usually works for me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you've never tried Nu-Stock, y'all need to get some and keep it handy. I love that stuff and it is supposed to promote regrowth on hair after a skin infection or injury...and it does!

Also the chickens may not like the sulfur taste in the lotion and may leave your bare naked ladies alone.

I used it on some very stubborn scale mites and it cured the whole flock in one application...and the residue on the roosts must have helped keep from reinfestation. No more mites!

It worked on some deep lacerations to my meaty chicks and you couldn't tell who had been injured when I butchered them out...healed so quickly and well that I couldn't tell which ones had been injured from the rest of the flock after a few days.

Just pine tar, mineral oil, sulfur...stinks and is a little messy but it sure does the trick!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Can you free range where you are? When this started happening with my birds I got so upset that I let three of them (the ones who seemed to be feather picking each other the most) out of the henhouse and didn't let them back in...within three weeks of being on thier own they were the nicest looking, healthiest birds I ever had...and I wasn't even feeding them!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Instead of scrambling the egg....I always hard boil, and crush it up with the shell. My gals go gaga over it. I just boiled 4 dozen for them the other day. Mostly Banty eggs...a few duck eggs...mashed and fed to them...shells and all. I have a few gals with red bottoms as well...I am thinking they are just lacking in protein. I am in no way an expert...but it seems every spring..we go through this with a few hens. Clean out those nest boxes...add some DE....and up the protien. Usually works for me.
ALL of them have turned up their beaks at the scrambled eggs, won't touch them. I suppose I can try hard-boiled.

B - where do you get your Nu-stock? At a feed place? The only thing around here is TSC.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
FarmerChick said:

LOL

at least it would be a kinda shallow hole, no backhoe required :bun

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Can you free range where you are? When this started happening with my birds I got so upset that I let three of them (the ones who seemed to be feather picking each other the most) out of the henhouse and didn't let them back in...within three weeks of being on thier own they were the nicest looking, healthiest birds I ever had...and I wasn't even feeding them!
I haven't wanted to because of the hawk that continuously circles our neighborhood...but I do have a rickety chicken tractor. I could put one or two in there for a while, I suppose, altho it's not very secure.

Miss Lame is not happy to be in the dog crate this morning. She keeps pecking at the plastic & squawking mightily. I suppose I should take that as a good sign, at least she's not lethargic. She pecked a little at her feed but is otherwise not eating much. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
shore up the chicken tractor and get the bird outside
fresh air is a must for healing definitely

you could always bring it in at night if needed in the crate

Latest posts