C'mon chicken experts! What's wrong with my flock??

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
shore up the chicken tractor and get the bird outside
fresh air is a must for healing definitely

you could always bring it in at night if needed in the crate
I was thinking it would be better if she didn't move around a lot, to keep her from using her bum leg...but I will always bow to superior wisdom. :)

I suppose I could just put the crate outside so she'd be getting fresh air...but I do know she must be bored in such a small space (but then, what do I know what a chicken thinks!!) ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bum leg
believe me critters do well best let alone to heal a bit in natural environment if leg is bad she won't move around much, but it gets the leg some movement which might be needed actually

guess job tho on what helps best in any situation

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a chicken thinks 2 things food and don't become prey
lol

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Lameness is pretty much NOT going to be an "allergy" issue, it is nearly always a mechanical issue of some sort.

One of the commonest causes of chicken lameness is bumblefoot (a pocket of infection in the foot tissues somewhere, sometimes deep and well-hidden), have you washed that foot and checked carefully for any areas that are reddened, whitened, hardened, swollen or painful to palpation? (You need to compare with the other foot "the sound one", or even to other chickens' feet if you want to doublecheck although that is less reliable). Bumblefoot often shows just one or a few of the above-listed things.

Also have you tried checking the various leg and toe joints for mobility and pain.

That might help give a better idea of what the problem is.

Although, unless it is bumblefoot, the solution is likely to be the same in any case, i.e. rest and time.

Best of luck,

Pat

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quick update - I heard back from MsPony's bird vet ( :celebrate ) & she is recommending treating for mites for the red-buttedness & keeping Miss Lame quiet for a few weeks ( :th ) to heal, as well as a small amount of aspirin (she gave me the dosage) for pain.

I actually meant to get the mite dust at TSC when I went for the dewormer but naturally forgot. :/ Gonna keep using the zinc oxide as well, & try the cod liver oil later today.

Please know how much I appreciate ALL your recommendations & advice, ya'll!!!!! You have helped me keep my sanity the last couple of days. (I know that just because a person has letters after their name, doesn't automatically make them "right" all the time.) I know that lots of you have had poultry for years, & have dealt with some of these issues already, & that makes you experts in my book!! Why else be a member on this forum & ask for advice in the first place...? :D

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm so glad she could help you!! She's owned (and showed) chickens for a long time, she likes practicing chicken medicine too, but no one ever brings her chickens until they are almost dead. Well, except my family lol. I'm bringing my Langshan in for a nasal flush because she keeps sneezing.

I have a polish crated atm, they get so cranky! She's in for a month (dog attack) and she used to sweetly try to chirp her way out, now she just screams all day long lol. Good luck with Ms. Lame :p

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MsPony said:
I'm so glad she could help you!! She's owned (and showed) chickens for a long time, she likes practicing chicken medicine too, but no one ever brings her chickens until they are almost dead. Well, except my family lol. I'm bringing my Langshan in for a nasal flush because she keeps sneezing.

I have a polish crated atm, they get so cranky! She's in for a month (dog attack) and she used to sweetly try to chirp her way out, now she just screams all day long lol. Good luck with Ms. Lame :p
Well, I really appreciated her replying, & so quickly too. I wish I knew someone locally. I live within an hour of NC State, which has a big vet school, but you think there are any livestock vets around??? Everyone wants to go into small animal practice, where the money is (I guess), & you don't get sh*t on your shoes. :/

Do you have to give your polish any meds? I'm trying to figure out how to give Miss Lame her aspirin. (Eye dropper? Needle-less syringe?)

Oh - one more thing - Miss Lame laid an egg in her crate this morning! :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
are ya going to eat that egg?
wild lol
I think I'll take justusnak's advice & hard-boil it to see if they'll eat it that way (since they had wormer yesterday)....;)