C'mon chicken experts! What's wrong with my flock??

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I posted a few days ago about my "red-butted" chicken, with lots of suggestions for different treatments (I got some zinc oxide, which I've used, & cod liver oil)...a local source suggested a de-wormer, which I put in the water today.

Well, I just went out to the pen, & it looks like one of my hens is suddenly lame! She is limping severely (I mean, barely walking), with her tail feathers drooping. She's just sitting in the dirt now, with her leg kind of out to the side, & her wings out a little. When I picked her up to look at her leg (which she let me do), I saw she has "red-butt syndrome" too! (Don't know if the two are related, but I'm very concerned about her limping)

I am starting to panic here...what in the world is going on? If I knew a livestock vet around here, I'd bite the bullet & get him/her out here to look at them, before I have a nervous breakdown! :hit

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Is there any chance a predator is getting to your birds? When I had some half grown pups here they plucked two of my hen's backsides in their attempts to kill them. Could explain why your hen is plucked AND injured.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Is there any chance a predator is getting to your birds? When I had some half grown pups here they plucked two of my hen's backsides in their attempts to kill them. Could explain why your hen is plucked AND injured.
I suppose anything is possible, B, but I don't see any evidence of an attack (ie, blood) & no holes in the fencing (they don't free-range). It's all very strange & upsetting. :(

I have her in a medium-sized dog crate with some straw & wood shavings right now...she's definitely staying in the house until I can figure this out.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Would you like my chicken vets email? I'm at a loss and I would be emailing her anyways.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Would you like my chicken vets email? I'm at a loss and I would be emailing her anyways.
Wow, would she reply to a total stranger?? I am desperate at this point, I'll try anything! You can PM me if you don't want to post it. Thanks so much, MP!!! :)

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am certainly no "expert" my girls are only a year old. I have been having the same problem and after keeping a close eye on them for a few days I noticed one of them (the dominate hen) pecking at the other girls bottoms. One in particular (the runt) had a huge area of feathers "plucked" from her bottom. Some of the others also are starting to show signs of being plucked.
I spoke with the owner of the local feed store and he told me to boost their protien intake. He said that when their protien levels drop sometimes they will eat the small feathers just as you and I crave certain foods (chocolate) when our energy levels are low.
I actually started feeding an occasional handful of dried cat food with their scratch and every few days I scramble some eggs to feed them as a treat. I haven't treated their butts with anything and the girls all act as if nothing is wrong but it makes me cringe when they turn away and bend over.
Also, they haven't been able to free range due to the harsh winter conditions which I think adds to the problem. Perhaps the lame hen had an allergy to the zinc. I have had none of my girls acting the slightest bit lame. Also I am starting to see some new feathers growing in.
You might just be able to call and talk to the VET and get some free advice, if you do I would be very interested.
Good luck. :fl
ETA I also added a suet block suspended in the run in an attempt to keep them occupied.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Can you get a few more pics up?
The only time I have seen anything similar, is when the flock is butt picking, due to boredom and crowding :(
And protein needs.

Wondering if yeast or staph could be involved?

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
complete guess here but what about parasites, feather lice???

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
I spoke with the owner of the local feed store and he told me to boost their protien intake. He said that when their protien levels drop sometimes they will eat the small feathers just as you and I crave certain foods (chocolate) when our energy levels are low.
I actually started feeding an occasional handful of dried cat food with their scratch and every few days I scramble some eggs to feed them as a treat. I haven't treated their butts with anything and the girls all act as if nothing is wrong but it makes me cringe when they turn away and bend over.
That's interesting, lighthawk. I have a local "chicken expert" that I email with occasionally (he taught a chicken-keeping-101 class at a local college, that's how I met him) who suggested the same thing, but they won't eat any cat food! :/ I'm talking about the kibble, not canned. I wonder if I scramble some eggs for them if that would help. Anything else that is high-protein?

BB - I've always worried about them being bored (since they're in a run) & give them treats throughout the day, including a head of cabbage that hangs from the ceiling, cobs of corn, sprouts, etc. But they're almost 2 years old, why would this behavior (if that's what it is) start all of a sudden?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Can you get a few more pics up?
Since they both have zinc on their butts now, I don't know if that would help. :(

Okiegirl - my friend suggested getting them dewormed, as they could be picking at each other's butts to get at the parasites (sorry to be indelicate), so I put that in their water this morning. Now I'm wondering if the lame one is having an allergic reaction...?

Aaargh! It seems like it could be a million different things! :idunno