Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are back from our "adventure" on the way there GPS took us around one accident on I24. That was nice because it saved us 22 minutes according to GPS.

We arrive at the farm, very nice younger married couple, wife was pregnant and sweet as could be. The gentleman (Sam) a devout man of God. We were made to feel like we were family 👍 we arrived shaking hands as people who just met. We left hugging as brothers and sisters, if that tells you anything, it speaks loudly to me!

They had 7 dogs and all 7 followed me around everywhere. Sam told me looks like you need to pick a pet while you're here, I never seen my dogs like someone so much meeting them the first time. There was one female Pyrenean and her grown "pup" big male, (his name was Pup). Pup wouldn't leave my side, I don't think he stopped wagging his tail the whole time. Pup loved that I talked to him, petted him and scratched behind his ears. I asked him if he wanted to come home with me, several times. When we got ready to leave he tried to get in the bus with me 😂. I'm gonna miss Pup, I already know it.

So much to tell you from the "Local Country Grapevine" about the tornado. From a man (Sam - Hero) who helped pulled the last dead person out of the candle factory that was all over MSM. But I will have to gather my thoughts and put into writing because it was information overload.

It wasn't 5 minutes after we arrived my wife got a call from my daughter in law about watching the granddaughters later this afternoon. Ofcourse the answer was yes 😊 so we couldn't stay long.

Now for the cattle... They stated out as dutch belted heifer bred to a black angus bull. She threw a belted heifer calf. That heifer was bred to a black dexter bull. And had another heifer calf, then she was bred to the same black dexter bull and had another heifer calf. Both the heifer and cow have been bred again to the same black dexter bull and are expected to birth. These are the three we purchased Momma Cow, Her heifer and her heifer calf. The black ones in the pictures. They are being delivered after Christmas. My wife fell in love with them, so mini cattle and happy wife/happy life. It's interesting to me to see the three generations and how the white belting decreases with each generation. Momma is on the right, second generation heifer on left, 3rd generation heifer calf in the middle.
Screenshot_20211218-164230~2.png

Screenshot_20211218-164237~2.png

The interesting thing... The purchase price is going straight to 6 churches in Mayfield for tornado relief. Sam told me he just put them up for sale and the tornado hit and they felt the right thing to do was to donate the proceeds to local churches in Mayfield. Amazing to me how all this worked out. Only thing I did was drive the bus 😲.

On the way back home my wife said to me you must really love me. I said yes ofcourse I do, but this is all Almighty's doing. You know I cried uncle and left it in His hands, we need to thank Him for what He did, he likes that, so we did, thank Him. 🙏

Now what I'm going to do with 3 potentially 5 mini cattle I don't know... But I'm sure it'll all work out for good. I sure hope Sam brings Pup for a visit when he delivers the cattle, I would really like that 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are back from our "adventure" on the way there GPS took us around one accident on I24. That was nice because it saved us 22 minutes according to GPS.

We arrive at the farm, very nice younger married couple, wife was pregnant and sweet as could be. The gentleman (Sam) a devout man of God. We were made to feel like we were family 👍 we arrived shaking hands as people who just met. We left hugging as brothers and sisters, if that tells you anything, it speaks loudly to me!

They had 7 dogs and all 7 followed me around everywhere. Sam told me looks like you need to pick a pet while you're here, I never seen my dogs like someone so much meeting them the first time. There was one female Pyrenean and her grown "pup" big male, (his name was Pup). Pup wouldn't leave my side, I don't think he stopped wagging his tail the whole time. Pup loved that I talked to him, petted him and scratched behind his ears. I asked him if he wanted to come home with me, several times. When we got ready to leave he tried to get in the bus with me 😂. I'm gonna miss Pup, I already know it.

So much to tell you from the "Local Country Grapevine" about the tornado. From a man (Sam - Hero) who helped pulled the last dead person out of the candle factory that was all over MSM. But I will have to gather my thoughts and put into writing because it was information overload.

It wasn't 5 minutes after we arrived my wife got a call from my daughter in law about watching the granddaughters later this afternoon. Ofcourse the answer was yes 😊 so we couldn't stay long.

Now for the cattle... They stated out as dutch belted heifer bred to a black angus bull. She threw a belted heifer calf. That heifer was bred to a black dexter bull. And had another heifer calf, then she was bred to the same black dexter bull and had another heifer calf. Both the heifer and cow have been bred again to the same black dexter bull and are expected to birth. These are the three we purchased Momma Cow, Her heifer and her heifer calf. The black ones in the pictures. They are being delivered after Christmas. My wife fell in love with them, so mini cattle and happy wife/happy life. It's interesting to me to see the three generations and how the white belting decreases with each generation. Momma is on the right, second generation heifer on left, 3rd generation heifer calf in the middle.
View attachment 17538
View attachment 17539

The interesting thing... The purchase price is going straight to 6 churches in Mayfield for tornado relief. Sam told me he just put them up for sale and the tornado hit and they felt the right thing to do was to donate the proceeds to local churches in Mayfield. Amazing to me how all this worked out. Only thing I did was drive the bus 😲.

On the way back home my wife said to me you must really love me. I said yes ofcourse I do, but this is all Almighty's doing. You know I cried uncle and left it in His hands, we need to thank Him for what He did, he likes that, so we did, thank Him. 🙏

Now what I'm going to do with 3 potentially 5 mini cattle I don't know... But I'm sure it'll all work out for good. I sure hope Sam brings Pup for a visit when he delivers the cattle, I would really like that 👍

You miss kids and they might need someone to teach them some of the fine tuned parenting you developed? In any case The Almighty definitely has His hand in this. Congrats on your cows.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the massive information dump Sam told my wife and I. I don't want to accidentally misstate anything. So before I write anything on detail, I'm going to bounce it off of my wife.

The one thing that is absolutely vivid in my mind is the widow woman's house he was talking about and how the tornado clipped the top of the trees around her house about roof high. He said the tornado just lifted the entire roof off her house. They found the roof in the woods resting in the trees mostly intact. Amazing power to do something like that. The widow was hunkered down in the basement and she didn't even get a scratch.

They way he described it, it completly made sense to me. I mean they just toenail the rafters to the top plate of the walls. And the sheath the rafters with plywood. So the toenailing for attachment could definitely be a weak spot. I never really thought much about about it before. I knew they manufacturer "hurricane straps" but in the Midwest we don't have hurricanes. I found this manufacturered strap for tieing the rafters to the the walls, instead of toenails. Seems to me it would be stronger.
Screenshot_20211218-190745~2.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You miss kids and they might need someone to teach them some of the fine tuned parenting you developed? In any case The Almighty definitely has His hand in this. Congrats on your cows.
Thanks 👍 I can't count them until their hooves are on our pasture. But I'm confident, they will make it here.

Latest posts