Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking of garlic... I've got round flower heads fully open. Do I dig the garlic, cut the flower heads off and plant the flower heads? If so how deep?

Thanks

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Are you growing the garlic for the flower heads? If so you would want to let them produce seed.

If you are growing garlic for the bulb, you were supposed to cut the stem of the flower head off before it grew straight. Then you can slice and eat the stem (scape) and use as you would garlic.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm way outside of my league here, on livestock protection. I'm enjoying learning though. I'll just keep moving forward... If anything the dogs will have a good 4 acres enclosed in woven wire to run until their hearts content. That is until I can put some hooves on it. Thinking I may have to lock up the animals at night. I was planing on letting them have 2 12 x 16 foot stalls anyways. So they can get out of the weather if they wanted. I suppose I could try and train them to stay in the stalls at night also. And I could work on some way to secure the 24 foot entrance. The two stalls with red arrows will be shelter for hooves. When they are on the 4 acres.
View attachment 16279
I made a pallet wall to pen in my goats at night in the barn.

Critters could have entered the barn and eaten them.... I didn't always have the barn fully closed up.... but they never did.

Not sure why they weren't eaten.... :idunno

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Speaking of garlic... I've got round flower heads fully open. Do I dig the garlic, cut the flower heads off and plant the flower heads? If so how deep?

Thanks

If it's true garlic, the "top hats" you are seeing will open up and produce bulbils.

Based on the variety, the bulbils will vary in size: One of my varieties produces about 100 tiny little apple seed sized bulbil per "top hat". An other variety produces bulbils that are up to 1/2" in diameter, perhaps 4 - 6 per stalk. If you want to harvest good sized heads of garlic, and keep those bulbils from spreading to become totally invasive, you should break off the scapes as soon as you see them, so the plant will put it's energy into producing a big head.

If you want to increase your garlic crops in years to come, allow some of those scapes to stay and produce bulbils. You can then plant the bulbils where you want them. Keep in mind: It takes about 3 years for them to mature into a good sized head. The first year, they put up grassy or thready tops, depending on variety. The second year, they produce a nugget bulb. And, the third year, if well treated, they will produce a bulb with cloves.

Other use for bulbils: My chickens LOVE them! Especially the tiny ones. They munch them down like candy. I sprinkle them around all of my fruit trees. It's said that garlic and daffodils repel mice and other fruit tree pests.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Current situation - help. I know nothing about garlic, other than I can't grow it but I like eating it on occasion.
Screenshot_20210701-132610~2.png

Screenshot_20210701-132623~2.png

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So far, I have failed at garlic. I’ve ordered garlic from seed catalogs, received huge garlic with fat cloves and eagerly planted them. I grew little things that weren’t worth peeling to use them. Last fall, I planted garlic I bought at the grocery store. I suppose you are waiting to see what I got, but I don’t know. Weeds overtook it, I haven’t gone to battle to try and find it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So far, I have failed at garlic. I’ve ordered garlic from seed catalogs, received huge garlic with fat cloves and eagerly planted them. I grew little things that weren’t worth peeling to use them. Last fall, I planted garlic I bought at the grocery store. I suppose you are waiting to see what I got, but I don’t know. Weeds overtook it, I haven’t gone to battle to try and find it.
I didn't plant this, it was here when we bought the place. I just prevented "Mowing Mayhem Momma" from running over it with the zero turn. It was easy, I just said I guess you don't like garlic hu? Then she wanted me to show her where it was. It was bigger before the first mow 😂

Still waiting for hints on what to do with it from @Lazy Gardener

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have elders up the ying yang. I picked some last year (July or August) time frame. I dried them out with the dehydrator and they have been in the kezzer @ 35 degrees every since. I'm pretty sure they will sprout in warm moist soil, although milage may very. I have about 1/3 of a sandwich baggie or enough for a nice elder grove. They were picked from various full sized elders, not the dwarf kind.

I'm willing to part with about 1/2 of them, does anyone want them? I'm in USDA zone 6B or 7, I can't decide...

View attachment 16213

So nobody want some free elderberry seeds? I'm willing to stick them in a envelope as mail USPS no charge to you.