Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Current situation - help. I know nothing about garlic, other than I can't grow it but I like eating it on occasion.
View attachment 16295

View attachment 16296

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Your photo shows the variety that produces tiny little bulbils. So, if you want to propagate, AND harvest some heads of garlic, this is what I'd do: Cut the scape stems off close to the base of the plant. Hang them to finish maturing. In your pic, you can see some of the tiny little bulbils peeking out. After they've dried a bit, you can rub them off the head, and let them fall where you can dedicate some area to a bed for them to grow on for a few years. Or, you can plant them at the base of your fruit trees. Then, you can pull the heads for kitchen use. save a few cloves from the largest heads to plant this fall. Give them fertile soil, and they will produce some fantastic heads for you at the end of NEXT June. Enjoy! If you want to increase your garlic varieties (who doesn't? They are so very easy to grow, and add so much to your meals!) you can buy them from reputable companies. They are IMO overpriced. Fedco sells bulbs for planting for more than $5.00 EACH! Or... you can find a local farmer's market or health food store, and buy some bulbs now. Store them till early - mid fall, and then plant the individual cloves. Generally, you should harvest your heads when the bottom 2 - 3 leaves have dried. I tend to leave my garlic in the ground way too long: until all the leaves are dry. They can still be harvested then, BUT, the bulbs will have split. Still useable, but not as pretty. Garlic is very forgiving. If you forget to harvest for the kitchen, you can still dig the shattered heads, and re-plant for a fantastic crop next year. If you don't even do that, the heads will come back right where they are, and each of the cloves in the "left behind" head will go on to produce a new bulb/head. Garlic is a heavy feeder. Feed it well, and you'll be greatly rewarded!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning, another hot humid day. Scattered rain showers and thunder storms. We have to go to town this morning so will put Trip, male GP, on the porch. Otherwise he panics, jumps the fence, then wants back in but can’t seem to figure out to jump the darn fence going the opposite direction. Neighbors have called us, opened the gate, the next neighbor calls us, says he’s out, then walk him to the house and put him on the porch. I’ll just stop all that foolishness and lock his smarty A$$ up before we leave.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good morning. Rain off and on. Today we’re Rearranging the house to make an office instead of a spare room. My mom’s dog is in renal failure, which sucks. I hate slow deaths, especially when there is a small chance of a bounce back. I almost prefer sudden. Anyways, I should really weed my garden too; but I’ll use the rain as an excuse to wait another day.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Water pump bearing went bad, wobbled the seal out. I suspect it has the right to got bad after 59 years.
IMG_20210702_122538556.jpg

The odd thing is the water pump casting number. It's for a D19 diesel but mine is a D19 gasser. Who knows what allis chalmers was thinking when they assembled the tractor back in 1962? Oh well, that's life on the farm. Currently looking for a replacement or I may have to rebuild it - IDK yet.
IMG_20210702_122453514.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Messybun im sorry about the dog. There is little hope for improvement in renal failure. Our pets get old and begin to fail, it’s hard to watch them have bad days. Big hugs.