Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I noticed several days last week Mr. Rooster messing around in the nesting box. He was making a nest. When I went just a bit ago to fill the water jug, I noticed a hollowed out spot,,, and one of the hens was being extra loud. Up to this point they have been very quite. so I watched while I was changing out the water. She was fluffing and getting comfy and singing the pre-egg laying song. I am glad one of them is getting started. This is the start of their 21st week. I read Welsummers can take as long as 24/25 weeks. Typically, once one gets started the others follow shortly.
I may get a first egg today..... maybe

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so I looked through all of the LG coop articles https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/moonshadowsfarm.65191/

This ones run is the only one that I gleaned from,, the extra support, and I am not sure how big/small he made the tops squares,, I am guessing 4feet by 4???
hredirect2.jpg

hredirect2 (1).jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I totally forget how beets are a "pick me up" during winter months. I eat a small helping for some much needed "doing what needs doing".

Farm Babe pickles them in slices with cloves and a touch of sugar. It's a really good balance of vinegar, beets and cloves with a slight hint of sweet, they are really good as is.
IMG_20221205_165724225.jpg

I can't help but wonder if they would any better fermented instead of pickled? I know they would taste different. But would they loose their "pick me up" if fermented? I reckon i'm going to have to try and ferment some to see.

For fermented beats, do you go with 2.5% canning salt like you would for making sauerkraut?

Thanks

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I totally forget how beets are a "pick me up" during winter months. I eat a small helping for some much needed "doing what needs doing".

Farm Babe pickles them in slices with cloves and a touch of sugar. It's a really good balance of vinegar, beets and cloves with a slight hint of sweet, they are really good as is.
View attachment 21579
I can't help but wonder if they would any better fermented instead of pickled? I know they would taste different. But would they loose their "pick me up" if fermented? I reckon i'm going to have to try and ferment some to see.

For fermented beats, do you go with 2.5% canning salt like you would for making sauerkraut?

Thanks

Yes they are very good-- I use the same amount of salt as I would cabbage kraut, -- I have some in the fridge, I did ferment them for 2 weeks first then added onions, sugar, vinegar ,,

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
support, and I am not sure how big/small he made the tops squares,, I am guessing 4feet by 4???
Judging from siding on coop, I'd say that's about right 4x4. I like the extra cross over on first, 2nd doesn't have. Lotta snow needs more. In fact, I'd have made a pitch on the roof vice flat in snow land. 😁

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes they are very good-- I use the same amount of salt as I would cabbage kraut, -- I have some in the fridge, I did ferment them for 2 weeks first then added onions, sugar, vinegar ,,
Thank You for that. How about fermenting carrots? Same.amount of pickling salt?

Thinking about doing a 1 gallon test run in 5 lb increments to fill a gallon crock. 1/3 shredded cabbage, 1/3 red beets and 1/3 carrots by weight. Massage in 3 tablespoons of pickling salt and add 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds. Brine 1 1/2 teaspoons pickling salt per cup of spring water to cover.

IDK... No recipe, but figured I won't know unless I try and see. The salt ratio is what seems most important to me.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Judging from siding on coop, I'd say that's about right 4x4. I like the extra cross over on first, 2nd doesn't have. Lotta snow needs more. In fact, I'd have made a pitch on the roof vice flat in snow land. 😁
Y es, I like the extra support pieces in the first run
hredirect2.jpg