Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I
Thank You for that. How about fermenting carrots? Same.amount of pickling salt?

Thinking about doing a 1 gallon test run in 5 lb increments to fill a gallon crock. 1/3 shredded cabbage, 1/3 red beets and 1/3 carrots by weight. Massage in 3 tablespoons of pickling salt and add 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds. Brine 1 1/2 teaspoons pickling salt per cup of spring water to cover.

IDK... No recipe, but figured I won't know unless I try and see. The salt ratio is what seems most important to me.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
use sea salt,
this may help

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bellies full, laying down chewing cud. Romeo looks like he's getting his fill of pasture grass, hay and grain ration, growing nicely. Nugget looks to be the same, growing nicely with a nice shinny coat. I like to see shinny coats, I think it's a sign of a healthy beast. Could be those piles of bovine droppings distracting my thoughts?
IMG_20221205_152003633.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I

use sea salt,
this may help

So many salts, so little time.

We have like 6 different kinds of salts here (maybe more). I like the pink Himalayan salt for it's trace minerals. I'll use the pink himalayan salt for this experimental ferment.

I like Redmond salt a lot also. Not trying to start a salt debate BTW.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dogs went crazy barking at 2AM. I can sleep through the Anatolians barking, but not Carson. He’s on the porch right outside the bedroom window and he is loud. He seldom barks, but I sure know it when he does. It was after 3 when I finally got back to sleep.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good morning ,
I got up at 4:15am. The fires going. Just got my 2nd cup, I am going to do more snow removal from the wire on the chicken run top this morning o_O
image_67165697.JPG

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So many salts, so little time.

We have like 6 different kinds of salts here (maybe more). I like the pink Himalayan salt for it's trace minerals. I'll use the pink himalayan salt for this experimental ferment.

I like Redmond salt a lot also. Not trying to start a salt debate BTW.

yes, Redmond salt is good, and the pink,

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dogs went crazy barking at 2AM. I can sleep through the Anatolians barking, but not Carson. He’s on the porch right outside the bedroom window and he is loud. He seldom barks, but I sure know it when he does. It was after 3 when I finally got back to sleep.
They are doing their job, as loud as it is, 🥰

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
image_67181569.JPG

I love that we can make foods that help our bodies.
Two of my favorite books are, these,

image_167884545.JPG

and here are a few recipes, now I dont use all the ingredients like juniper berries etc...
image_67145985.JPG
image_167806721.JPG

image_67164673.JPG

because different salts weigh up different, a Table spoon of plain salt is not the same weight as a table spoon of sea salt,,,
I am ordering these jar toppers so I can ferment more things in smaller batches. Yes, i can just cover the jars with cheese cloth but I do think being able to properly wash it is hard, so I like the idea behind these cleaner Masontops, they have them on Amazon---- i got the wide mouth ones.
Screenshot 2022-12-06 060620.png

Last edited:

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

This article talks a little about carrots, radish, and other non cuke pickles. The book also has many brining meat and other curing methods.