Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 21589

I love that we can make foods that help our bodies.
Two of my favorite books are, these,

View attachment 21590

and here are a few recipes, now I dont use all the ingredients like juniper berries etc...
View attachment 21592
View attachment 21591

View attachment 21593

because different salts weigh up different, a Table spoon of plain salt is not the same weight as a table spoon of sea salt,,,
I am ordering these jar toppers so I can ferment more things in smaller batches. Yes, i can just cover the jars with cheese cloth but I do think being able to properly wash it is hard, so I like the idea behind these cleaner Masontops, they have them on Amazon---- i got the wide mouth ones.
View attachment 21594
I was watching a few fermenting YouTube videos on fermenting in canning jars. One of videos (sorry didn't bookmark) she preferred regular lids and rings. She said when you can't push the lid down to hear it pop, it's time to burp the jar, by loosing the lid. She checked them daily. She knew the ferment was completed when she could push down on the lid and it would pop, meaning no pressure build up in the jar. I thought this to be clever.

Thought for the day... Does the Holy Bible teach how to make butter? It does, but it doesn't say "here art thou directions to make butter" 🤔

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok I got it done,
the 2 outside poles on the north side and south side closest to the house are falling in, I dont know what to do to prop them up,
image_50743553.JPG

image_50412545.JPG

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 21589

I love that we can make foods that help our bodies.
Two of my favorite books are, these,

View attachment 21590

and here are a few recipes, now I dont use all the ingredients like juniper berries etc...
View attachment 21592
View attachment 21591

View attachment 21593

because different salts weigh up different, a Table spoon of plain salt is not the same weight as a table spoon of sea salt,,,
I am ordering these jar toppers so I can ferment more things in smaller batches. Yes, i can just cover the jars with cheese cloth but I do think being able to properly wash it is hard, so I like the idea behind these cleaner Masontops, they have them on Amazon---- i got the wide mouth ones.
View attachment 21594
I never heard of these. How do they work?

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ok I got it done,
the 2 outside poles on the north side and south side closest to the house are falling in, I dont know what to do to prop them up,
View attachment 21601
View attachment 21602
I would just wedge a stout pole or t-post on the inside up against the leaning post.

For my run tops I used concrete reinforcing wire as the base. Then I put 2x4 wire on top of the concrete reinforcing wire. For the bantam coop I also used a layer of chicken wire.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never heard of these. How do they work?
It's a different method to fermenting small batches in canning jars. There are many methods, some are better than others. The basic idea is to let gasses out and keep nasty stuff out. Think "check valve" 😁

In my opinion a food grade rubber grommet fitted with a sanitizer filled air lock is probably the best. Because it mimics the strict sanitation required to successfully brew beer or wine. It let's fermentation gasses out and won't let anything in. There is a lot of fermentation gasses involved when brewing beer or wine.

The grommet and air lock, is probably overkill for fermenting veggies though. Because the veggies must remain submerged under a salt water brine to ferment. Brewing beer or wine is very different 😁

airlock-lids-fermented-vegetables-613x800-1.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would just wedge a stout pole or t-post on the inside up against the leaning post.

For my run tops I used concrete reinforcing wire as the base. Then I put 2x4 wire on top of the concrete reinforcing wire. For the bantam coop I also used a layer of chicken wire.

Id like a picture showing how you did it. Just a close up look at it. I need to do something new for my large fowl run.