Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just turned the inlets down from hell fire to normal idle because the thermometer on the wall is over 100 degrees. I'm figuring out, there is a "method" to feeding ole momma bear
I used to just let the new logs get some fire on them for short time, then cut the air way back...it would burn banked most all day. Once that rascal was hot, not a whole lot needed beyond that. Just radiated heat from those slow burn logs! Saved a lot of wood. Pretty much, load some at night & again in morning. Kept a big house warm.

Now, I use propane if I burn this stove. I'm over the constant wood cutting. Help DD sometime but she mainly burns the fireplace weekends. It's an insert with blower. Helps with power bill heat.

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good afternoon all!
Just a quick check on the news here to see how everyone is doing on this rainy Wednesday. The temp here says its 46 but it surely feels colder than that.
Oh that is how it is here from Oct. to the end of May, and flooding rain
Today it is 46 out full overcast,

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I got back from vacation on Friday, my horse, Reina, had a weeping and cloudy eye. She was spooky, couldn’t see out of it. I called vet and got a Monday afternoon appointment. Vet said there was trauma to the eye, like she bumped it on who knows what. It was swollen and it hurt.

Vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and some eye drops, a steroid. She gave me the eye drops plus one to give at night. Reina also gets Bute twice a day over her feed. Vet said give her eye drops 3-4 times a day, 6 would be better. Yesterday she got eye drops every 2 hours. Yesterday it STORMED! That hampered my efforts. But she got her eye drops. I left early this morning and didn’t have time to get her eye drops. I had therapy, oil change in my car, several other stops, plus grocery shopping at Walmart. She got eye drops at 4, then again at 5, 15 minutes later, the nighttime drops. I’ll have to get back on schedule tomorrow.

Her eye looks better! She hates the drops, doesn’t want me to touch her eye area, doesn’t even want me to walk on her right side. Gee, too bad! I tie her close, but she can toss her head, shake it, and let her displeasure be known. Sigh….

She has another appointment Monday for a follow up.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I got back from vacation on Friday, my horse, Reina, had a weeping and cloudy eye. She was spooky, couldn’t see out of it. I called vet and got a Monday afternoon appointment. Vet said there was trauma to the eye, like she bumped it on who knows what. It was swollen and it hurt.

Vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and some eye drops, a steroid. She gave me the eye drops plus one to give at night. Reina also gets Bute twice a day over her feed. Vet said give her eye drops 3-4 times a day, 6 would be better. Yesterday she got eye drops every 2 hours. Yesterday it STORMED! That hampered my efforts. But she got her eye drops. I left early this morning and didn’t have time to get her eye drops. I had therapy, oil change in my car, several other stops, plus grocery shopping at Walmart. She got eye drops at 4, then again at 5, 15 minutes later, the nighttime drops. I’ll have to get back on schedule tomorrow.

Her eye looks better! She hates the drops, doesn’t want me to touch her eye area, doesn’t even want me to walk on her right side. Gee, too bad! I tie her close, but she can toss her head, shake it, and let her displeasure be known. Sigh….

She has another appointment Monday for a follow up.
Oh poor baby! I am glad you can take her to a vet

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cook stove must have a grate for the ash to fall through. You're wood stove looks like how ours looks. No where for ash to go but to suffocate coals. Not designed for extended periods of burn. Need to close off the air inlets, let it cool down, clean out the ash and charcoals then refire. 3 days and 3 nights is about the maximum burn time for ours before the fire box needs to be cleaned.

I'm thinking up a better design. I would like to go an entire heating season. But probably not feasible since you need to brush the chimney periodically.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
If you have that much coal and ash being produced, then the fire isn't efficient.

A better designed stove will burn more of the wood, leave you with zero or close to zero coals, and only a little ash.

A well designed stove forces the smoke from the fire to circulate and reburn (or has a catalytic filter to do that job). This produces more heat for the home, and also means the smoke from your chimney is cleaner.

A quality stove can run a fire for at least 6 hours before needing to be fed.

When running the wood stove 24/7 we clean out the ash from our wood stove maybe once a month. It produces more ash if we are burning a great deal of junk (magazines, mail, cardboard etc.) And it produces very little ash if we are burning only dry wood.

We always clean out the wood stove in the fall before we start it up for the season. If we are stuck burning more junky wood (wet, or green, or sappy, etc) then we will clean the chimney mid season.

We have a temperature guage on the chimney stack so if a fire starts in there we will know, and we whack the chimney on occasion to see how it is doing. If you whack the chimney pipe and hear a bunch of falling debris, clearly, it needs to be cleaned.

"Dirty" fires, or fires that are not fully burning the wood or fuel, as well as cooler fires, deposit more soot and creosote into the chimney. A good hot fire, burning in an efficient wood stove, helps to keep the chimney clean.

Of course... lots of factors are involved... the huge temperature drop from the temperature of the chimney to the outside air will cause soot and creosote to deposit on the chimney.... but the more heat that you can get to stay in the wood stove, so that the chimney is as cool as possible... will help.

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230125_073717.png