Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... The only kind of seafood that I like is shrimp but it doesn't bother me when others eat other kinds of seafood unless I'm getting forced to try it.

i don't like the smells of it cooking or the cleanup afterwards (but i can do the dishes a lot better than the cooking). but if someone else is cooking i'll try about anything once - they have to eat it first (to show me how it is done :) ).

one thing that if i were told about it first before trying it was seviche' i really loved that when i was a kid we went on a cruise (a really dumb thing for a kid of 13 years old - there was only one other kid my age on that whole ship) as they served it at a beach party one day. it was so good. i didn't know how it was made until i looked it up after we got home.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had some really good fresh water clams in FL. Plus some lovely conch chowder in the FL keys. No raw clams, need them cooked! Oysters, fried. Crab, shrimp, lobster -- all good -- but, no fish. 😵‍💫

Today, there's a good hotwire lesson for goats. This new charger box will set you on your butt -- and a few were! Those already having been around it, smelled and quickly walked away. 🤣 A couple jumped thru and it took some time to get them to a gate they "knew" and back in. But they wouldn't go far from the herd, so no real big deal, just more steps. The only JUST hot wire is across my backyard from this just fenced area to the big pasture on other side of house/ property.

There was plenty to eat in the new area, so excitement of being "loose/free" had to wear off first. Been a couple hours now, second look see to be sure that biting stuff was real....it was 😁...calming down now.👍. This is a section of my side/front yard. Less mowing! Plus fenced from neighbors field they spray killed for next planting. All real rence on that side, too.

IMG_20230423_110616640_HDR.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori so you are oceanside? Unless there are lake or river clams, which never heard of.
Shells broken for chickens or whole for art. I prefer scallops or conch. Not into clams or any other shell seafood. I would love to go to Alaska and eat crab and see those big fishing boats from deadliest catch show,lol I could have me some fresh ocean fish right now!

2 hours from the coast. Half an hour from the Puget Sound on a good traffic day. These are from the coast. We've went for butter clams and oysters around the Sound before. We need to go for horse clams. Those are good size. We could go geoduck digging but it would probably kill me. My lungs couldn't handle that much digging.

30 razor clams is usually 4-5 pounds of cleaned meat. You gut razor clams.

The suckers can dig and get away so if you're using a clam shovel, you have to dig fast. Most people use clam guns now. Faster, less work, and less likely to damage the clam.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Missed the coffee. Up early but remembered about the other lamp and got it.
I love going to eat crab on many places. They give you all kind of utensils,lol I used my teeth when young but I can't now because I will lose some if I try.

Ceviche, I would never have that. You will not know if it's fresh fish. They put lemon and vinegar to save the fish that is starting to go bad.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think eating/over eating is a crutch/ addiction that he isn't ready to give up yet but when he is ready
Emotional eating is tough. I've struggled with it a lot myself. I didn't get any better until I did trauma therapy. I had a lot of baggage around [lack of] feeling anger. When I had a breakthrough and was able to feel anger, my emotional eating nearly resolved. I say "nearly" because I recently learned I still struggle with emotional eating when I feel sadness and/or overwhelm. Back to therapy exercises...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ceviche, I would never have that. You will not know if it's fresh fish. They put lemon and vinegar to save the fish that is starting to go bad.

when i've had it i usually have known the people who make it (or me has made it), and since i don't normally have fish on hand of any kind we'll often use the fake stuff that is pre-cooked so it really isn't seviche', but i still like the combination of flavors and textures. though in recent years we've given up on the fake seafood stuff because it went from ok to me to inedible (texturewise).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Emotional eating is tough. I've struggled with it a lot myself. I didn't get any better until I did trauma therapy. I had a lot of baggage around [lack of] feeling anger. When I had a breakthrough and was able to feel anger, my emotional eating nearly resolved. I say "nearly" because I recently learned I still struggle with emotional eating when I feel sadness and/or overwhelm. Back to therapy exercises...

yes to all of that. for sure the phrase "comfort food" is something to ponder...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I had to pull the tiniest triplet and bring her in the house. I’ve kept a close eye on her, she was nursing and getting milk, but yesterday her bigger brothers were pushing her off the milk teat. She was hunched up, cold and shivering. I stuck my finger in her mouth and it was cold. A cold lamb is a dead lamb, so I scooped her up. I wrapped her up in a towel and heating pad. It took a couple of hours to get her warmed up. Can’t feed a cold lamb, they can’t digest the milk and they will die. So warmth first, milk second. She wouldn’t take the bottle so had to feed her with an eye dropper. She took 1 1/2 ounces. Before bedtime she took 2 ounces.

Carson was so excited! He wanted to love the baby and would have got in my lap too, if he could.

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4158.jpeg

IMG_4154.jpeg

I put her in the bathroom overnight, she woke me up at 5:30, hungry. 2 ounces by eye dropper and she is content, in my lap, wrapped in a towel and warm. On BYH, I said she’s so tiny, no bigger than a bit of dandelion fluff, so her name is Dandelion. She is daughter of Ringo, my old ram that I had to put down recently and I really wanted a ewe. I got 2 strapping big boys and diminutive Dandelion. I raised a tiny triplet ewe once before, can’t tell her size wise from her sisters now. Dandelion here we go!

I’ll go to Lufkin this morning and get a dog crate, milk supplies and baby diapers. What is sweeter than a little tiny lamb?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning all my wonderful friends! COFFEE IS HOT and READY!!!!!
Thank You all for the wonderful advice!
Both the doctor and I have told FH to change his eating habits and the his doctor is always asking him how his eating is. I don't know what he tells her seeing how I'm never there when he sees her, always goes straight to an appointment from his work when he doesn't reschedule appointments seeing how work comes first then his health. I tell him all the time that as soon as he dies work will have someone else driving his truck and he needs to take care of himself before work but me just telling him doesn't do any good. His doctor has stressed to him how he needs to cut down on his eating and to eat healthier but for him I think eating/over eating is a crutch/ addiction that he isn't ready to give up yet but when he is ready (probably it will take a hospital visit to get him to realize that AND I REALLY HATE TO THINK LIKE THAT so all I'm doing is stating a fact!!!!) he will need all the support I can give him. We have already cut out ALOT of white starchy products ( white potatoes, white bread, white rice) so that's a start. I have tried the whole wheat noodles/pasta but he says it's too grainy but I only make pasta sides once or twice a month now NOT every day. I don't cook a LOT of deep fried foods anymore but will still cook fried foods in the air fryer and it's mostly grilling these days.

it's a change, and can take years to ease some habits off. keep at it and try whatever might work, a few carrots and apple slices as a snack, some peanut butter to make them stick better, etc. :)