Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:cafGood morning all,
I am actually enjoying catching up on all of the house work I let go over spring , summer and fall :confused: haha now that the dogs have had their shower I have gotten all of the floors scrubbed. My back hates me but it needed to be done. Next is taking things down off the walls and washing them off. And then wash the " dog shake" mug spots off the walls and then baseboards. I want to go through drawers and cabinets and get rid of things not used. I did that when we moved but I think I need to hit it again.
:caf more coffee
In-between chores I have been doing puzzles.
I love doing puzzles in the winter months.
This month I did a 500 piece Nativity puzzle
this one and this one
image_50445313.JPG image_67530497.JPG

I got this one out on Thursday.
image_16863489.JPG

I have a few I rotate through

image_67195137.JPG

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
a before pic? :)

i've not started over from scratch to that level, but my current most used pan has a few spots where the seasoning came off up along the edge of the pan but it doesn't really matter to me to make it look perfect because i really don't use that part of the pan much at all for cooking anyways. i just keep on using it and it will have to figure itself out in time. my smaller griddle pan looks nearly exactly like it did when i bought it. i don't use it for anything other than pancakes so it just gets buttered. that was the nicest thing i did in recent years to get the extra griddle so i didn't have to switch when cooking and i can keep the meat only in my normal cast iron pan and then only pancakes on the griddle.

How about two before pics?
Screenshot_20231230_090815_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231230_090729_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I researched cast iron seasoning a little last night. Seems baking at 350 degrees F for one hour gets a good seasoning. Supposedly due to even temperature throughout the entire cast iron. They also say seasoning on the burner creates uneven temperatures, resulting in an uneven cure.

Since this reasoning makes sense to me, that's what I'm doing. I coated the entire pan again with lard and will bake for an hour at 350 F. After cooling the vintage cast iron pan should be ready to cook food again 👍
Screenshot_20231230_104059_Gallery.jpg

P.S. Farmbabe was impressed that I thought of using one of her recycled sheets of aluminum foil to catch any drips 😁

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After coming out of the oven cure. It's good enough to fry up a burger without sticking, so that's good enough for me.
Screenshot_20231230_115528_Gallery.jpg

After cleaning with stainless steel maul pad and hot water, drying. Then applying another coat of lard and heating up the pan from frying up a burger
Screenshot_20231230_115604_Gallery.jpg

Reward
Screenshot_20231230_115637_Gallery.jpg

All in all I rate restoring this vintage cast iron pan to be very easy. Hopefully my posts of my first ever attempt of restoring a vintage cast iron pan, will encourage/help someone. Cast iron is my favorite cookware and can be found cheap at auctions, estate sales, garage sales, etc... I discovered nasty cast iron cookware is very easy to restore for daily use again.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My hair is white. At 36 years old, it was white. I had colored my hair brown for years, but after 2 weeks I had a skunk stripe and looked like fresh roadkill. I decided to lighten up my hair color, so I colored it light auburn, red. I did that for 20 years and finally gave up the bottle. The grow out period was horrible, I wanted to shave my head. I had it cut real short, twice! So I have come to grips with having white hair, now I like it.

My 16 year old granddaughter has been wanting to color my hair some weird color for the longest time. I finally said ok, but only the tips. Then if I don’t like it, I can cut it off. So we did. I kinda like it, but no way I’d want to color all my hair purple!

IMG_5644.jpeg