Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Took the wife out for breakfast yesterday to a new place nearby. Louisiana style food, was pretty good. Did some needed shopping and got her out in the sunshine a little bit.

Bananas and a rum butter sauce. Almost Bananas Foster like

20231228_093210.jpg

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 25211
Good Morning!! and good coffee to you!
No fire in the stove this morning it is a cool 45 out and is said to be 56 at 1pm.
I have been using my french press and pour over for making coffee. I found on amazon stainless steel mesh filters so no need to buy the paper ones.
I am eliminating as much plastic as much I can. Even ditching clothing with plastic in it.
I have had to stop using dawn dish soap due to the smell was making me wheeze. I bought Dr. Bronner's sal-suds and love it! it works great! I also stopped buy / using chemical laundry soap. I got the washing soda and soap flakes from Pure (brand) on amazon.
View attachment 25212

I am also doing all I can to reduce our EMF, and wi-fi exposure.
We really enjoyed the info on this website https://emfacademy.com/

Have a great Friday!
Becky

Dryers and washers are a huge EMF source.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cooking up a vintage cast iron pan full of hot coals :\ The pan needed to be rid of many years of nasty shortening build up. Was able to get the iron a nice orangy glow.
Screenshot_20231229_200257_Gallery.jpg

After about an hour cooking coals and ofcourse extra careful removal of pan from hell fire and allowed to cool. See all that white stuff on the pan and cement floor? That's shortening after being through hell fire, nasty.
Screenshot_20231229_200348_Gallery.jpg

After it cooled enough to handle, I ran a stainless steel brush around all surfaces of the pan. Much to my surprise it came clean very easily only took a few minutes of brushing. The cooking surface was smooth already so no need to do anything to it.
Screenshot_20231229_200516_Gallery.jpg

Next I seasoned it with a coat of lard and heated it up on the stove being careful not to get it too hot to start smoking. I'll most likely clean it well and season it again before I cook with it. But we have dropped the use of shortening in favor of lard. So that's all that will be used in this pan going forward anyways.
Screenshot_20231229_200654_Gallery.jpg

Did I miss anything restoring this vintage cast iron pan?

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cooking up a vintage cast iron pan full of hot coals :\ The pan needed to be rid of many years of nasty shortening build up. Was able to get the iron a nice orangy glow.
View attachment 25215

After about an hour cooking coals and ofcourse extra careful removal of pan from hell fire and allowed to cool. See all that white stuff on the pan and cement floor? That's shortening after being through hell fire, nasty.
View attachment 25216

After it cooled enough to handle, I ran a stainless steel brush around all surfaces of the pan. Much to my surprise it came clean very easily only took a few minutes of brushing. The cooking surface was smooth already so no need to do anything to it.
View attachment 25217

Next I seasoned it with a coat of lard and heated it up on the stove being careful not to get it too hot to start smoking. I'll most likely clean it well and season it again before I cook with it. But we have dropped the use of shortening in favor of lard. So that's all that will be used in this pan going forward anyways.
View attachment 25218

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

That's how I've cleaned all the ones Ive collected. Looks good to me

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Spent some quiet time with the cats and coffee this morning, just reflecting and contemplating the coming year.

Chiropractor appointment Tuesday, the past two months have been rough with all the moving. Hopefully will get some relief. The Arnica (thanks @baymule ) provides some relief

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, it's here -- last weekend of 2023! 😁 :old

Looking back, it was a wet year. Spring was especially so, 2023. Reason for no garden, plus too much job! Plan to reduce the job time but, can only 🙏 for more favorable weather to plant. Farmers will agree as they couldn't plant or had crops flooded out 🥴

Won't be any celebrating for New Year beyond 🎉.
Yep, that's it...I'm done :lol: just another day.

It's cooling for next few days. We've had some nice temps last couple weeks -- mostly the changes will be lower at night. My coldest 2 months of winter begins Monday.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

a before pic? :)

i've not started over from scratch to that level, but my current most used pan has a few spots where the seasoning came off up along the edge of the pan but it doesn't really matter to me to make it look perfect because i really don't use that part of the pan much at all for cooking anyways. i just keep on using it and it will have to figure itself out in time. my smaller griddle pan looks nearly exactly like it did when i bought it. i don't use it for anything other than pancakes so it just gets buttered. that was the nicest thing i did in recent years to get the extra griddle so i didn't have to switch when cooking and i can keep the meat only in my normal cast iron pan and then only pancakes on the griddle.