Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
That almost sounds like fun. However, since I've never shoveled snow I really can't relate, lol. :hu
I can share
20240119_164729.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I won't drive on the interstate in the snow if I can help it... until they get them cleared... because of too many going to da@#ed fast....People are idiots on the road... 80 is NOT a speed to drive on the interstate.... and doubly NOT what you drive in the snow..... I have 2 awd subarus, and a 2wd drive ranger pickup that is not real good in the snow... the old farm 4wd is still at the mechanics shop... the explorer is 4wd but I do not like driving it and it is for sale since they got the in dash screen working (3.95 fuse and $150 diagnostic test since it didn't show up on the the little plug in computer thing:barnie:he)... It's too nice a vehicle for me to beat it up around the cows.... 54,000 ORIGINAL miles... 2012.... my elderly parents vehicle bought from their estate.... like new inside... few little nicks on outside... no accidents... just not my type vehicle...
Screenshot_20240119_182812_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just caught up on this post... @CrealCritter .... NO smooth concrete is NOT recommended for livestock as a couple others have told you. They will slip, cattle can go down, "split", hind legs go out from under them, tearing or injuring the stifles and muscles and ligaments and may not ever be able to walk right again... most of the splits on the dairies get a set of hobbles to hold their hind legs/feet to 3 ft or less between them so they can hopefully be able to get any injuries healed up, so that their legs do not go out from under them... and then they might be able to go with out the hobbles... some leave the hobbles on for the entire lactation.
There are companies that specifically groove the concrete in the barns to allow for some traction...

Mats will help... GROOVED mats.... but no reason to concrete to then put down mats unless it is an area that gets wet alot and creates mud...or an area that you want to scrape the manure out of... What most do in muddy spots, is to put down some sort of "big gravel"... then use a type of landscape fabric and then gravel overtop of it... keeps the gravel from "sinking out of sight" and just disappearing into the mud underneath.... give it some stability and will drain....

Go with a grooved/rough finish on the concrete if you want to put concrete down...

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
View attachment 25377

If the explorer caught on fire I would get more out of the insurance than I will get by selling it... was hoping someone might come along and slide on the icy road, going too fast, and hit it and total it...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The overall snow was not as bad as predicted, BUT, our county sheriff is shutting down the roads overnight to only permit emergency traffic as the roads are very wet and we're going down to single digits. The heavy north to south lake effect snow bands dissipated as they moved east towards us.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just caught up on this post... @CrealCritter .... NO smooth concrete is NOT recommended for livestock as a couple others have told you. They will slip, cattle can go down, "split", hind legs go out from under them, tearing or injuring the stifles and muscles and ligaments and may not ever be able to walk right again... most of the splits on the dairies get a set of hobbles to hold their hind legs/feet to 3 ft or less between them so they can hopefully be able to get any injuries healed up, so that their legs do not go out from under them... and then they might be able to go with out the hobbles... some leave the hobbles on for the entire lactation.
There are companies that specifically groove the concrete in the barns to allow for some traction...

Mats will help... GROOVED mats.... but no reason to concrete to then put down mats unless it is an area that gets wet alot and creates mud...or an area that you want to scrape the manure out of... What most do in muddy spots, is to put down some sort of "big gravel"... then use a type of landscape fabric and then gravel overtop of it... keeps the gravel from "sinking out of sight" and just disappearing into the mud underneath.... give it some stability and will drain....

Go with a grooved/rough finish on the concrete if you want to put concrete down...

Thank You 😊

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No pretty snow here -- THANKFULLY :old but cold. The winds for past week have been very strong, bringing temps down. In fact weather reports say we'll be low single digits tonight -- low 20s all day 😖. THEN, get this -- 68-70 Thur & Fri. 😳 50 is our aver for this time of year. What a strange Jan!

Well the winds really limit outside, both temps and trying to actually doing anything. Hanging on to anything in 20-30mph winds is tricky. 😁. So another inside day. Did force myself to get some intense cleaning done yesterday. Spring cleaning! :idunno more today. Always nice after it's done. :caf